GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default fuel pump - what to buy?

I know I've heard AC Delco is the preferred brand to use for GMC trucks, but...

when shopping for a new fuel pump/strainer/connector, I came across the Spectra Premium Fuel Pump Kit on www.rockauto.com that seemed to have everything I need (pump, sender, float, and strainer) for $82. Does anyone know if this is a decent brand? Does it have everything I need? "Includes fuel sender, electric-in-tank fuel pump, new strainer, lock ring, "O" ring, all terminals/connectors. Also includes float and reservoir where OE has it. Fuel pump included. Exact replacement for original equipment."

Here's a link to product: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1251262
    Last edited by backcountry horsewoman; 12-05-2010 at 07:32 PM.
    ~Janet~
    My rig: 1993 Suburban K2500 & 16ft stock trailer.

I've never heard of a Specta before. Carter is a good aftermarket brand.

Hi grandparon, nice to meet ya neighbor. I'm in Park City.

I've heard of spectre. They make good air intakes but I don't know much about their fuel systems. They are not the most high quality of aftermarket parts but I haven't ever heard anyone complain about their products.

2006 Duramax LBZ
    Edge Evo
    4'' Diamond eye to 6'' tip
    16'' ion alloy, 33'' fierce attitudes
    Lots of work left to do!

Thanks for the info. I don't want to spend too much money, but I also don't want to buy total crap. The Spectra caught my eye since it seems to have all the little extra parts I have no idea I'll need until I'm right in the middle of trying to install the new set-up.

I googled Carter. If all I need is pump, harness, strainer... the Carter set up is only $48 on Amazon. Very do-able!

Legend
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by grandparon View Post
    I've never heard of a Specta before. Carter is a good aftermarket brand.
    No offense grandparon but i have had nothing but trouble with carter as well as most people who have used them. Chevy trucks eat carter pumps.
    I would go with Delphi, i have and am currently running a airtex (advance auto) fuel pump module in my 2000 S-10 blazer. I would run anything other than a carter in a 1988-1994 GM since the pressure is a bit lower than required.
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Well, thanks for the feedback there murdog on Carter, I didn't know other people had so much trouble with them.

Thanks for the welcome , Horsewoman, and enjoy that great skiing!

Ask 5 people the same question, and get 5 different answers. Is this a truck repair or horse training forum?? lol Seriously, I appreciate the different opinions. It makes me chase all the ideas down and results in my having a more well-rounded education in the end.

I guess I should have first asked... what exactly do I need to buy? I know I need a pump, strainer and connector. Are there any other little odds and ends pieces that I may need, like o-rings or mounting plates, or who knows what else?? Also, what are the chances that when I cut open the panel to reveal the pump assembly, I will discover my sending unit should be replaced too??

Legend
    Blog Entries

If the lines on the sending unit are good and your gas guage works i would just buy a pump which should come with an Oring for the lock ring (which is reusable the lock ring) i would just buy the pump, and a strainer. the pump should come with an O-ring, and the new wiring harness.
    It really is a quick job the longest part will be cutting the hole..

Mike, thanks for the info. I have no idea what condition my sending unit looks like, but my gas gauge is extremely reliable. As for cutting the panel, my friend wanted me to ask if I need a nibbler or pneumatic shears for that?

If I don't need the sending unit, then there's another fuel pump kit on www.rockauto.com made by Bosch. It's $47, and it looks like the only thing missing is the strainer, which is only another $4.60. The description says it includes illustrated step by step instructions, which is a major bonus to me. Here's the link: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=976865.

Any opinions on the Bosch brand?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast