GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New here. Stupid questions...

Hey guys. I just signed up. I used to be a toyota fanatic but screw that. Im sticking with my chevy. It's a 2004 Chevy Avalanche. 2WD. As soon as I got it, I just cut the muffler right off. Idk why, im sixteen, some excuse huh? No but Im saving money savin for pipe to come out. How much would it cost to have duals come out? do I need to get a y pipe welded onto it? im sorry if this is a stupid question. And I wanted to lift it. Can I can buy adjustable shocks? Like the Pro Comp MX-6's? 2.5 inch up front and I can put and add a leaf in the back to level it out.

Welcome to the club.No shocks will not lift a truck. Your will need a lift kit.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Welcome first off where are you? Is it a Cladded Avalanche or WBH?
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Welcome to the club!You can buy levelling shocks for the front of your truck and increase the height by 2" like i did.The shocks i have are Bilstein 5100 leveling shocks
    [/SIGPIC]2009 Chevy Silverado LT 1500 EXT CAB 4X4 Vortec 4.8L SFI,K&N air filter,Weathertech Floor Liners ,Weathertech Stone/Bug Deflector, Line X Spray On Bedliner, TruXport Rollup Tonneau Cover, Molded Mudguards, Viper 5701 LE 2 way Security Alarm/Remote Starter, Xm Satelite Radio,BILSTEIN 5100 rear shocks,BILSTEIN 5100 front levelling shocks,READYLIFT 2" rear lift blocks,Goodyear Wrangler Territorys -265/70R 17"

Welcome aboard! Like Bigbomber said, you can buy leveling shocks (Bilstein 5100) or a leveling kit ($60-$250) to raise the front end of your truck up to 2.5 inches. What this actually does is level the front with the back. Stock trucks straight from the factory usually have more lift in the back than in the front (to accommodate heavier loads in the bed among other reasons). With JUST the leveling shocks or a leveling kit on the front, you should be able to fit up to 33" tires which is probably one size up from what you currently have.

If you want to do something to the back, you can add blocks to the back (see Readylift.com or other lift manufacturers). Otherwise, you'll need to buy a lift kit. It isn't as simple as just buying new shocks.

As for your exhaust. Hmm..... Haha. I'm not really sure how or where you cut them off, but honestly, you should just take your truck to a muffler shop or any other auto shop that installs exhausts. You should be able to get a decent exhaust system installed for around $290 or less (parts and labour) depending on what you go with. You can get them to run dual exhaust straight out the back, to the sides, etc. Check out some of the sub-forums on this site for more information about specific exhausts. You should be able to find tons of information.

x2 on vincennes ... you could also buy a front end leveling kit and keep your current shocks .. possinly a little cheap then the 5100 ???

I went with the Bilsteins because of the lifetime warranty which is something you don't get with a spacer kit,I spent $40,000 on my truck so i wasn't about to put on a cheap $80.00 levelling kit. I still have a rake to my truck because i added a 2" Ready lift block kit to replace the 1" stock blocks.If you go with the Bilsteins and no block kit in the rear your truck will be level.The 2 front adjustable shocks cost me $228.00 Canadian shipped to my door.
    [/SIGPIC]2009 Chevy Silverado LT 1500 EXT CAB 4X4 Vortec 4.8L SFI,K&N air filter,Weathertech Floor Liners ,Weathertech Stone/Bug Deflector, Line X Spray On Bedliner, TruXport Rollup Tonneau Cover, Molded Mudguards, Viper 5701 LE 2 way Security Alarm/Remote Starter, Xm Satelite Radio,BILSTEIN 5100 rear shocks,BILSTEIN 5100 front levelling shocks,READYLIFT 2" rear lift blocks,Goodyear Wrangler Territorys -265/70R 17"

Welcome to the G M T C ! You came to the right place for good info'. Good luck!

2010 Z/71 Colorado C/C
    Black 4X4 w/5.3L V8
    ===============
    2007 Winnebago Adventurer
    w/8.1L Chevy & Allison 6spd.
    Canyon Lake, Texas

Thanks for the welcome guys. I got the exhaust part down. Talked to a buddy, hooked me up with a number to a local exhaust shop. Im gonna do a straight pipe from the cat-back. the leveling kits on 4wheelparts, are they a rip off? I have a shop nearby so i dont have to worry about shipping and what not.

Legend

Blog Entries

Welcome to the Club!!!

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast