GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default My 2008 silverado 1500 2wd needs bigger wheels.

Please help.
    I have a 2008 silverado 1500 ls crew cab that is sitting on the standard 17" chrome looking steel wheels. The tire size is currently 245/70/r17.
    I am looking to get some 20" wheels from a similar vehicle at a salvge yard. A friend told me that when chevy changed to the new body style in 07, the wheels from older models will no longer fit.
    So I guess my question is this. Will 20" rims from a tahoe/suburban/silverado after 2007 new body onwards fit my truck? Also, will wheels from older vehicles work too.
    I'm not sure if the new wheels just bolt on or if I have to change suspension etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy NC View Post
    Please help.
    I have a 2008 silverado 1500 ls crew cab that is sitting on the standard 17" chrome looking steel wheels. The tire size is currently 245/70/r17.
    I am looking to get some 20" wheels from a similar vehicle at a salvge yard. A friend told me that when chevy changed to the new body style in 07, the wheels from older models will no longer fit.
    So I guess my question is this. Will 20" rims from a tahoe/suburban/silverado after 2007 new body onwards fit my truck? Also, will wheels from older vehicles work too.
    I'm not sure if the new wheels just bolt on or if I have to change suspension etc.
    Your Friend is incorrect.......if your 08" is a 1/2 Ton it has the Same 6-Lug Bolt pattern as........all late Model 6-Lugs....Chevy & G.M.C....Trucks and SUV's....Going back to the Mid to Late 90's went G.M. went to the 6-lug bolt pattern on the Trucks and SUV's .....and They will Bolt Right up with no change to your Suspension.....other than what Size tire you are going to install on the Rims.

Edit:.....I should mentioned that the smallest Diameter Rim....that you could put on your 08".....from a Older Model Chevy/GMC.....is a 17in Rim.

Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 12-07-2010 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Added Infor.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Default wheels

Thanks for the answer. I am looking to go upto a 20" wheel. Kinda like the factory option on the tahoe. Will I need a wheel with a tpms in it or can that function be turned off?