GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default New Horn Opinions!!!

So I want to get a new horn for my truck and when I tried searching for the horn it was impossible to find (I still don't know where it is, sounds like its under the battery but who knows). I've read posts about train horns and air horns and all that but I don't know what is easiest to install and what is the cheapest and loudest. Any help and opinions would be great!

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500
    -7" Fabtech Lift
    -Gibson Dual Exhaust (headers all the way back)
    -K&N Cold Air Intake
    -35" BFGoodrich Mud Terrain KM2's
    -17" V-Tec Off Road Wheels
    -2% Tint All Around
    -Pioneer Head Unit, and Speakers, Tweeters All Around
    -Two 12" Kicker CVR Subwoofers
    -3000w Performance Teknique Amp
    -CB Radio, PA System
    -After Market Tail Lights
    -HID Head Lights

The loudest ain't cheap or easy. You can either go with a louder electric horn to replace/ add to your stock horn, a cheap air horn setup which may be somewhat easy to install, but still not the loudest, or a train horn setup which will be more expensive, harder to install, and loudest of all (unless you go with a ferry/ship horn which takes up your whole bed!!). Companies like Hella, PIAA, and Wolo make loud electric horns. I don't have any experience with generic air horns, but a lot of people seem to like the shocker horns from hornblasters. Nathan Airchime, Leslie, and Prime make actual train horns, with the Nathans being the most friendly to install (size and maintenance-wise). Prime's are no longer manufactured, but can sometimes be found on ebay or craigslist.

It all breaks down to what you are willing to spend, how much time you want to invest, and how nice of an install you wish to have. Think about what you really want and do it right the first time so you won't be wishing, down the road, that you went with another setup.
    -Sal

2008 Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L Crew Cab
    Desert Brown Metallic

Century top, Yakima roof rack, 2.5" front lift, Readylift 3" rear blocks, Line-x bedliner, step bars, AVS vent visors, Weathertech floor liners, door sill guards, power tailgate lock, tailgate damper, KC light bar w/ PIAA 525s, rear mini-light bar, rear LED reverse/utility lights, dual batteries (Cole Hersee isolator), DIC upgrade, 20" GM wheels, Cooper Discoverer A/T3s, 26 gal. onboard air (twin Viair 480Cs), Nathan Airchime K3HA / Old cast 2nd Gen. P3 Horns, Graham White valve, bell

Past Chevys: 1985 S-10 ext.cab, 1963 BelAir sedan

I've had a similar issue with my 2008 GMC Sierra, the horn was very weak and sounded like a yugo. I went to O'reileys and bought a 15 dollar high pitch PIAA horn. It's better but it's not as loud as I want, they have one that is 50 dollars and is about double the size. On my truck the horn is located on the drivers side, underneath the headlight. You will need to remove the top black guard on the grill, then the grill to remove the headlight, once you wedge the headlight out it's bolted to the frame. VERY ANNOYING they put it underneath all that crap when they could have put it just about anywhere else. I might replace my soon, can take some pics and step by step it if anyone is interested.
    2012 Chevy Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3
    Rough Country 2.5' Lift/Level
    Chevy 18's on Toyo Open Country MT 33's
    DiabloSport Trinity Tuner with Custom Tune from Lew
    Debating on AMP Research Powersteps

2008 GMC Sierra WT 4x2 4.3

3" Rough Country Suspension Lift w/Control Arms
    Super 44 Flowmaster Straight Dual Exhaust from the Cat Back with 18" Chrome 3.5" Exhaust Tips.
    Moto Wheels 951 18" on Nitto Mud Grappler 33's
    Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 System with Kenwood 5.1 amp using Stock Headunit.

there are two horns on mine. one on the drivers side and one on the passenger side. I was going to replace them because they sounded like they belonged on a clown car and not a truck. I only replaced one and have the other sitting on the shelf cuz they are a pain to get to. tucked under the lights and above the bumper so that everthing is in the way. I just purchased ones from kragen.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

[/COLOR]
    Quote Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
    The loudest ain't cheap or easy. You can either go with a louder electric horn to replace/ add to your stock horn, a cheap air horn setup which may be somewhat easy to install, but still not the loudest, or a train horn setup which will be more expensive, harder to install, and loudest of all (unless you go with a ferry/ship horn which takes up your whole bed!!). Companies like Hella, PIAA, and Wolo make loud electric horns. I don't have any experience with generic air horns, but a lot of people seem to like the shocker horns from hornblasters. Nathan Airchime, Leslie, and Prime make actual train horns, with the Nathans being the most friendly to install (size and maintenance-wise). Prime's are no longer manufactured, but can sometimes be found on ebay or craigslist.

It all breaks down to what you are willing to spend, how much time you want to invest, and how nice of an install you wish to have. Think about what you really want and do it right the first time so you won't be wishing, down the road, that you went with another setup.
    If you don't mind how much was your nathan horn setup? I already have a train horn kit so I have the tank,compressor, and air lines but my horns are too high pitched and just not loud enough.

2006 Duramax LBZ
    Edge Evo
    4'' Diamond eye to 6'' tip
    16'' ion alloy, 33'' fierce attitudes
    Lots of work left to do!

I think the best be for me is to go with an electric horn. I don't need anything fancy, I just want something more beefy, since I've got this big truck but then a little stock girly horn.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500
    -7" Fabtech Lift
    -Gibson Dual Exhaust (headers all the way back)
    -K&N Cold Air Intake
    -35" BFGoodrich Mud Terrain KM2's
    -17" V-Tec Off Road Wheels
    -2% Tint All Around
    -Pioneer Head Unit, and Speakers, Tweeters All Around
    -Two 12" Kicker CVR Subwoofers
    -3000w Performance Teknique Amp
    -CB Radio, PA System
    -After Market Tail Lights
    -HID Head Lights

Blog Entries

If you go with anything smaller than this, then you might aw well not get one at all ;)

http://www.youtube.com/user/airraids...39/rjR5K_Fb6r4

2003 Silverado, SOLD 1/11/11 for my... 2001 Ford Mustang Bullit, #1787

http://www.wolo-mfg.com has prices and sound clips
    Quote Originally Posted by crawfordguard View Post
    I think the best be for me is to go with an electric horn. I don't need anything fancy, I just want something more beefy, since I've got this big truck but then a little stock girly horn.
    2012 Chevy Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3
    Rough Country 2.5' Lift/Level
    Chevy 18's on Toyo Open Country MT 33's
    DiabloSport Trinity Tuner with Custom Tune from Lew
    Debating on AMP Research Powersteps

2008 GMC Sierra WT 4x2 4.3

3" Rough Country Suspension Lift w/Control Arms
    Super 44 Flowmaster Straight Dual Exhaust from the Cat Back with 18" Chrome 3.5" Exhaust Tips.
    Moto Wheels 951 18" on Nitto Mud Grappler 33's
    Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 System with Kenwood 5.1 amp using Stock Headunit.

Quote Originally Posted by ntbush83 View Post

If you don't mind how much was your nathan horn setup? I already have a train horn kit so I have the tank,compressor, and air lines but my horns are too high pitched and just not loud enough.
    Nutman (I got that from Stephan),
    For just the horns alone, I paid $385 for the K3HA (left) and $485 for the P3 (right). Both are Nathan's, the K-horn is a newer horn and the P-horn is a 2nd generation old cast horn. A used new-cast (3rd gen) P3 will typically run you about $400 on ebay, and so will a K3. One thing you should consider is the size of your airline, especially for the K3/K5 horns. Most people say 1/2" I.D. minimum as to not starve the horn for air. I'm only running 1/2" O.D. (~3/8" I.D.) air brake lines and it seems plenty loud enough for me. Go to youtube and listen to these horns and see if that is what you are looking for.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1093 - Copy.JPG 
Views:	207 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	23127
    Last edited by troutbug; 12-09-2010 at 02:13 AM.
    -Sal

2008 Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L Crew Cab
    Desert Brown Metallic

Century top, Yakima roof rack, 2.5" front lift, Readylift 3" rear blocks, Line-x bedliner, step bars, AVS vent visors, Weathertech floor liners, door sill guards, power tailgate lock, tailgate damper, KC light bar w/ PIAA 525s, rear mini-light bar, rear LED reverse/utility lights, dual batteries (Cole Hersee isolator), DIC upgrade, 20" GM wheels, Cooper Discoverer A/T3s, 26 gal. onboard air (twin Viair 480Cs), Nathan Airchime K3HA / Old cast 2nd Gen. P3 Horns, Graham White valve, bell

Past Chevys: 1985 S-10 ext.cab, 1963 BelAir sedan