GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Transfer Case Fluid Leak

I have a leak from my transfer case or from the seal between the transmission and transfer case. Not sure whick. Going under the truck tonight to find out.

1997 Suburban 1500

Couple questions first:
    What transfer case do I have?
    If laying under the truck, head towards the front, where are the drain and fill plugs on the TC? What size wrench do I need to pull the plugs?

Thanks,
    Steve

Got under there on Friday and cleaned it up with some brake fluid. Leak was the seal between the transmission and transfer case. Took it back to the mechanic that did a bunch of transmission work on it over the last couple weeks to have him fix it.
    Going to have him figure out why it won't go in to 4wd too. The light on the dash just blinks. Hopefully this will be the last of the kinks to work out of the truck for a while. Mechanic has had the truck longer than I have since I bought it at the beginning of November.

Mechanic replaced the seal. No more leak.

Turned out the problem with the 4x4 is that the electrical connection was not seated correctly. Once the plug was connected fully, it works great.

Where exactly was the leak? I have a leak somewhere around the Transfer case but some guy on another forum said it could be the transmission is toast and the vent was pushing the fluid out. I need as much information as you can share. Thanks.

You may be experiencing pump rub. Check your transfer case housing for pin hole leaks. Clean it off and make sure your fluid is at the correct level. There is a known defect with theses cases where a pump inside wears through and produces a pin hole in the housing. Google "pump rub" and you will find loads of information on this issue. I hope this isn't your problem because you would need a new case half, but I would at least check for this.

I think that you may be on the money regarding the pump rum in the TC as far as the sound goes. I still haven&t cracked the case as yet because my back is out. I was thinking that the chain may have been slack in the TC but from what I just Googled, pump rub sounds like the problem. I get a ticking sound when driving at lower speeds without much load on the box. Has anyone else had this problem?

I would seem as though the fluid dump I did the other night is a tranny issue. I spoke to a friend today and he seems to think that the filter is blocked and the torque converter may be bad. I have had really bad fuel economy and I read somewhere that if the torque converter is no good, it will make the truck a real gas guzzler. I was getting less than 7mpg city and highway, so I am thinking to overhaul the complete system.

I can understand why a bad converter would equal bad fuel economy. The converter basically takes the engine power and turns it into forward (or rearward) movement. If it's not running as efficiently as possible, it is wasting gas. Just verify it with any other telltale symptoms first, since low mileage could point towards a million things.
    I like you.