GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Engineer

Default Question for fellow firearms owners

Ok quick question. Any gun-care related issues with leaving rifles/shotguns in a vehicle over night in cold temperatures?

The reason I ask is I have a big road trip coming up. Point A to B, then to Point C a couple days later.

Will be bringing 2 shotguns and 2 rifles with me. Will be driving ALL day (18 hours) from point A to B, staying over 2 nights at point B, and then leaving for point C in the morning of the 3rd day (2 hour drive).

At point B the owner's of the house do not own firearms and although I'm sure they would allow me to bring them in, I know that they'd prefer not to have guns in the house. So I am wondering if any significant rust could occur from condensation by having the guns in a cold vehicle for almost 3 days straight or can I just leave them until I get to the final destination and take them inside, dry them, treat them etc.?
    SEAFOAM, I PUT THAT @#!$ IN EVERYTHING!

2004 Silverado LS 5.3L Z71 Crew Cab
    260,000+ km

Legend
    Blog Entries

Just clean them up and leave a touch of extra oil on them till you get to your final destination, and then wipe them down again. Also leave the cases slightly open if they are soft cases that will help them breath a bit. Basically dont be to afraid of oil and you will be just fine.
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Jr. Engineer

Well then I'm on the right track. I cleaned them up 2 days ago, and wiped the entire guns down with Remington Gun oil Wipes - I love those things! 1 Wipe did all 4 guns!

Thanks for the tip of leaving the soft cases open a bit. 3 of the 4 have soft cases. I read that Hoppe's #9 MDL is great stuff to use for removing/preventing moisture issues. Have you ever used it? I normally just use Hoppe's #9 Gun Oil and the remington oil wipes.

Legend
    Blog Entries

I use CLP "cleaner, lubricant, protectant" (army issue still have a bunch of it) and soft cloth (usually my shop rags before they go to the shop) and that works great for me. During Deer season my gun stays in my truck the entire 2 weeks since i dont want to have an oops after the 35 mile trip to the stand... It sits in a soft case with the back open a touch, and i didnt have any rust this year, even after i fired over 50 rounds of ammo thru it (we got mad one day out at another area i dont really like to hunt and started killing squrrels. 30.06 makes a BIG hole HAHA)
    But im not really sure about commercial cleaners/oils since most of my weapons cleaning time was when i was in the army, before that it was just my little bolt action 410 and that was using my stepdads stuff. which was over 10 years ago now.

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

BigBen- you and Murdog94 have it right. Those rem oil wipes should be just fine.

I regularly carry my pistols with me on long trips across the southern USA-Louisiana and TX- really humid-and NM, AZ not too humid. I leave them in the Suburban-in soft carrying cases-no problems with rust.
    Guns are pretty resistant to rust-a little bit of pure water/condensate-not that salty stuff the MW and NE have all over their winter roads- isn't any big deal.
    You might want to just give them a little wipe down in the morning, but they probably don't even need that.

I would be more concerned with theft-keep a good eye out for that and make sure you don't have any gun cases visible.
    Charlie
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

Jr. Engineer

No worries on the theft, they will be behind and underneath the rear seat in the truck, and the neighborhood these people live in is fairly uneventful when it comes to car break-ins. Not to mention you can't see through the tint on the rear windows. Thanks for the tips guys!