GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default New Guy Checking In

Hello all. New to the forums, new to trucks. Purchased a 2009 Silverado 1500 4WD Crew-Cab, Short-Bed 4.8L black on black earlier this year. Finally got some funds together to start the fun.

I've started my research, and have read a lot of the stickies/threads on this website and have my plan together for making my truck my own.

If anyone has the time/patience to help me figure out if all of my wishes are compatible, I'd be grateful.

Dec 2010/Jan 2011 To Dos:
    1) Leveling: 2" Rough Country Level
    2) Wheels: 18x9 6/5.5 ATX Punisher (seen here)
    OR
    18x9 6X5.5 5.0BS FUEL OCTANE BLACK (seen here)
    3) Tires: Nitto Terras 285/65/18
    4) Cat-Back: Borla Dual Pipe Side Behind-tire (seen here)
    5) K&N CAI 63 Series
    6) Black Grill Assembly (seen here)
    7) Black Front Bumper (seen here)
    8) Black Rear Side Bumper (seen here)
    9) Anzo Headlights (seen here)
    10) Anzo Taillights (seen here)

Also planning on blacking-out the bowties front and back. This should give me the nice, mean all-black look that I'm going for.

A few questions though if anyone's willing to help:
    1) What offset do I need on the ATX Punisher? -- remember, I'm putting the 2" level kit on.
    2) Will the Nitto Terra 285/65/18's fit on the ATX Punisher?

Thanks all. Looking forward to the conversations.

p.s. if anyone knows a good mechanic in the Doylestown, PA area (SE PA) please let me know.

MJ
    Last edited by mjs84; 12-10-2010 at 08:15 AM. Reason: web site link correction

Legend
    Blog Entries

Hey MJ, welcome to the GM truck club. Here is something that may help you with your tire/wheel fitment, backspacing, offset etc.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...r-Measurements
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

Thanks - that link is good stuff and really helpful in understanding the measurements. I'm a visual guy.

I'm still a bit confused though... how can I tell what offset is required for my truck? Also, how can I tell if the 18/9 ATX + 33 265/65/18s will clear / not rub with only a 2" level?

Legend
    Blog Entries

Someone may be able to tell you, IF they have the exact same truck/wheels/tires etc, but it may come down to you doing the measurements yourself. That is usually the only way to be sure they will fit.

Legend

Blog Entries

Welcome to the Club!! That's a great list you have and nice job doing a ton of research!

Tires should fit on the rim just fine....I pasted some info below that I pulled from the associated link that illustrates this. I also think you will be fine in terms of not rubbing. Before I installed my leveling kit, I had 285/70/17s, which are close to 33s and they did not rub. After I installed a leveling kit, I had plenty of room. My stock rim backspacing is 5.5" but I am not sure of the offset. Also, I'm not sure how big of a difference it is on a 17" rim vs an 18" rim. I am sure someone will respond soon who has 18s or done the research.

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCal...?action=submit

Stock Tire - 265/65R18 >Search Tires
    Section Width:10.43 in265 mmRim
    Diameter:18 in457.2 mm
    Rim Width Range:7.5 - 9.5 in
    Overall Diameter:31.56 in801.62 mm
    Sidewall Height:6.78 in172.21 mm
    Radius:15.78 in400.81 mm
    Circumference:99.14 in2518.1 mm
    Revs per Mile:659.0

Edit -- One item to note is that diameter for the tire size you mention is 31 1/2" not 33", so I definitely think you will have the room.
    Last edited by mfleetwood; 12-09-2010 at 03:04 PM.

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Quote Originally Posted by mjs84 View Post
    Thanks - that link is good stuff and really helpful in understanding the measurements. I'm a visual guy.

I'm still a bit confused though... how can I tell what offset is required for my truck? Also, how can I tell if the 18/9 ATX + 33 265/65/18s will clear / not rub with only a 2" level?

Keep in mind that....Backspace and Offset are tied together.....On the Rim Size of....18/9's.....you would want a....5in Backspace.....which in turn will give you a 0 Zero Offset.

Most Aftermarket 18/9 rims will have the backspace I mentioned above.....Unless they are Custom ordered for a certain.....Backspace/Offset.

The tire size you mentioned above have a....Overall Diameter of...31.5in's and a Section width of.....10.4in's.....

If you go with a 5in Backspace/0 Offset on the 18/9's and the Tire Size of 265/65/18's.........along with your 2in leveling of your Truck.......This Setup Will Fit with No rubbing issue's at all.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

thanks guys - this is great info!

It looks like I might even have room to go to 265/70/18 for a diameter of 32.6" and still get clearance / no rubs with the 2" level.

Would adjusting tire width/aspect ratio affect which wheels I can use - or do all tire width aspect ratios fit on wheels of the correct diameter?

Just came across a really good deal on Fuel Octane Black 18x9 6 bolt 5.5" backspace for $159/wheel free ship no tax... tough to pass up.

Legend

Blog Entries

I would think you could fit up to 33 1/2 to 34" without rubbing, but I am only speculating.

For the tire size in respect to rim width....yes, wider tires will impact the rim width variance. Play around with the tire link that I sent on the previos post. You can enter mulitiple tires sizes and get a side by side comparision of the results. Then you can easily see what size tires will fit on your rim.

And congrats on getting the rims...they look great and definitely an awesome price.

Awesome!! Thanks Mike

Legend

Blog Entries

You're welcome and keep us posted on the progress!!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by