GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by
    Sr. Engineer

Default No Brakes, Brake Light comes on

'91 Silverado 350 V8
    So this morning I get in my truck....
    Start driving and then find that my travel for my brake pedal is really long....

I press it to the point that my brake light on the dash comes on, like I have the emergency brake on.

There is brake fluid in the resevoir

Obviously it is a bit tougher to stop.....

What do I need to check?
    That last time I drove it was Wednesday, and it was fine then.

---------- Post added at 07:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:53 AM ----------

I checked the fluid level....
    THere is fluid, but it is low...I will add some and see what happens...
    Hope that is all it is.

---------- Post added at 07:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 AM ----------

Looks like it was a fluid level issue.

Seems to be working better after having added in some.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Sounds like you may have a bad line as well.. Just so you know. Or else the brake booster is going out etc.. but low fluid mean leak most likely..
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Recently experienced the same thing.

Turned out to be the Rear brake cylinders.

Had to replace them and the lines running to them, they were so rusted they broke off.

Good luck, have fun.
    Pavement sucks... :grrrrrr:

1994 K1500 4x4 Ext. Cab
    PCM chip and Xenon 8000k bulbs
    350cu.in bored over .050"
    balanced Crank, 10:1 compression
    Flat top pistons,cam,ported heads
    Option Racing Cold Air Intake
    Holley Throttle Body Spacer
    Accell Igition, 45kv coil
    FloTech Headers, no CATs, dual exhuast
    Goodyear Silent Armor A/T 305/70-16
    Pioneer SupertunerIII CD USB Bluetooth
    Kicker ZX200.2 ZX Amp
    Kicker Audio COMP 10" Subwoofer

Sr. Engineer

Ok, I will check the lines.
    That could very well be the problem.....will take a look at the brake pads/shoes as well.

Did the light go out for you? On my 91 Suburban, when the brake light comes on, I have to pull the battery cable to let the light reset. It typically turns on on me when I push the brake pedal all the way to the floor. Never figured out exactly why it happens, there was nothing wrong with the brakes.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Legend
    Blog Entries

Hey Crawdaddy i would take a look at your brake proportioning valve since to the floor isnt supposed to happen and a bad proportioning valve can cause that as well (no fluid loss) just the valve will stick and only give you front brakes which will in turn cause for the soft pedal since the rear brakes are what give you the firmness...

Sr. Apprentice

I have the same thing with my truck and hope to sort it out this weekend. I'm suspect of the rear cylinders and will look for leaks there first. From what I've read pretty much if you are low enough on fluid to have extend pedal travel and a brake light, you have a leak somewhere that needs fixing. Also my understanding is if the brake booster is going south your pedal will be harder not softer. Mine is definitely softer with more travel.
    1992 GMC C1500 SLE

Legend
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by auzivision View Post
    I have the same thing with my truck and hope to sort it out this weekend. I'm suspect of the rear cylinders and will look for leaks there first. From what I've read pretty much if you are low enough on fluid to have extend pedal travel and a brake light, you have a leak somewhere that needs fixing. Also my understanding is if the brake booster is going south your pedal will be harder not softer. Mine is definitely softer with more travel.
    To correct my error i meant Master Cyl.... dingo me, ive had them go out like that where they acted goofy for a bit then one day they just quit... So thanks for pointing that out. i guess i need to learn how to proof read HAHAH..

Sr. Engineer

So a brake booster going bad will show itself by making it harder to press the brake pedal, as if the engine were off?

If so, then not a brake booster issue for me....mine is definitely soft.
    It has been really cold (in the 20's at night)....so a cracked line would not surprise me.

---------- Post added at 01:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
    Did the light go out for you? On my 91 Suburban, when the brake light comes on, I have to pull the battery cable to let the light reset. It typically turns on on me when I push the brake pedal all the way to the floor. Never figured out exactly why it happens, there was nothing wrong with the brakes.

For now the brake light went out, and I have not had to press all the way to the floor to stop either.
    So for now, adding in the fluid has worked....but I will want to check the lines I believe just to be sure...as well as keeping an eye on fluid levels.

There was a couple times while I was driving this morning that when I pressed to the floor and the light came on, it did not go off initially when I let off the brake.
    But I would pump the pedal and then it would turn off.

---------- Post added at 01:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by murdog94 View Post
    Hey Crawdaddy i would take a look at your brake proportioning valve since to the floor isnt supposed to happen and a bad proportioning valve can cause that as well (no fluid loss) just the valve will stick and only give you front brakes which will in turn cause for the soft pedal since the rear brakes are what give you the firmness...
    Where is he located, that may be something I want to check...
    While mine is working at the moment, it still soft and spongey feeling...
    Could be that my pads and shoes are worn down.....so I guess I will need to really look at them.

Murdog, for me, this wouldn't happen while I was actually braking. I'd be sitting in line at a fast-food drive-thru, and getting bored, I'd slowly push the pedal as hard as I could into the floor. A couple times I apparently went too far and had the light come on. No big deal, didn't affect anything than driving me up the wall with the light on.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by