GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Thinking of doing the unthinkable ~ lowering Chevy Silverado 4WD

1-I don't go off roading. Ever.
    2-I hate the huge gap between my wheels and fenders, and am not going to be upgrading from my 20s for a (long) while.
    3-I like the look of the dropped Silverados
    4-I can't afford another truck for now, and don't want to sell my current ride.

SOOOOO I'm thinking about getting a set of 2 inch drop torsion keys, and taking the rear lift block (because it's a Z-71) out on the rear end. Thoughts?

And before you ask why, read 1, 2, 3, and 4

2003 Silverado, SOLD 1/11/11 for my... 2001 Ford Mustang Bullit, #1787

if you dont really go off road then why not... look at it this way if you lower it most people will think its just a 2wd. this gives you an edge by having the option to launch in4wd if you plan on making your truck faster... but your probalby have to get lowering shackles to go along with taking out the blocks
    2000 single cab short bed 1500 w/ 6.0 vortec maxx swap from a 2006 2500, custom intake, slotted brakes, shorty headers, 8mm wires, electric fan, strait piped, 4.5 inch lift, asp pulleys, true dual through body exhaust, built trans w/ shift kit, custom tune by efi alchemy...320rwhp

Factory lift blocks?
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.

I had a 1" stock lift block on mine.The Z71S have a 2" block.
    [/SIGPIC]2009 Chevy Silverado LT 1500 EXT CAB 4X4 Vortec 4.8L SFI,K&N air filter,Weathertech Floor Liners ,Weathertech Stone/Bug Deflector, Line X Spray On Bedliner, TruXport Rollup Tonneau Cover, Molded Mudguards, Viper 5701 LE 2 way Security Alarm/Remote Starter, Xm Satelite Radio,BILSTEIN 5100 rear shocks,BILSTEIN 5100 front levelling shocks,READYLIFT 2" rear lift blocks,Goodyear Wrangler Territorys -265/70R 17"

As long as you're not in Syracuse in the winter, I can't see any issues with it. It does feel wrong though, but you certainly make a case for it.

I say go for it. A slight drop would look good.
    04 ECSB Custom silver & grey, Soft 8's, BFG KO's, ReadyLift Leveling Kit, Hellwig front sway bar, K&N filter, DeeZee EZ-Down, Rhino liner, Alpine CDE103BT, Rockford 6.5's, 12" V.A.T. Hammer Pro in a Subthump box, Alpine PowerPack amp, Hifonics amp, BackRack w/ 55w 5000k HID KC Daylighters, KC light bar with 4 KC Slimlites, UWS toolbox, Shaved Antenna mod, Black Bowtie, LED backup, license plate, dome lights & 3rd brake light

Legend
    Blog Entries

I KNEW somethin was up when you got those sway bars Kid

Lower IS better for handling, & mpg & with your driving style morphing to the winding roads at maximum throttle, I think lowering it is a good move.
    You will have to cut out the 5 & 6 foot jumps though..lol
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

Go for it......for all the reason's you mentioned.....Your truck will look Great with a mild drop.....

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Blog Entries

I didn't expect all these positive comments about dropping a 4x4! I'm happy hahaha.

Ok, so I would def do torsion keys up front. But 00chevy you think I would need drop shackles in back if I pulled the lift blocks out?

Also, does anyone think I would need new drop shocks if I am just doing a 2 inch drop? I just got my Ranchos, and I really don't want to replace them-and I can adjust them to be softer or stiffer if I need to after I drop it.

2003 Silverado, SOLD 1/11/11 for my... 2001 Ford Mustang Bullit, #1787

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Quote Originally Posted by Als09Sierra View Post
    As long as you're not in Syracuse in the winter, I can't see any issues with it. It does feel wrong though, but you certainly make a case for it.
    What are you tring to say??? I just got back from Syracuse... There was only 13 in's of the White stuff.... Had fun on my friends ATV's.. But back to the post... You might need a differant Bump stop and shorter shocks...
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast