GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... Last Post byLast Post by
    Legend
    Blog Entries

Needing drop shocks will depend on how much travel is left in your Ranchos after you lower the truck. If they're close to bottoming out with the lowering, then yes you will. It would be nice if you can keep them though so you can set them stiff for this new driving style with the sway bars & all.
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

it is a possibility... when you take out the blocks see where it sets and if you want the gap to be less then the shackles would be the cheapest way
    2000 single cab short bed 1500 w/ 6.0 vortec maxx swap from a 2006 2500, custom intake, slotted brakes, shorty headers, 8mm wires, electric fan, strait piped, 4.5 inch lift, asp pulleys, true dual through body exhaust, built trans w/ shift kit, custom tune ... 320rwhp

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Enkeiavalanche View Post
    What are you tring to say??? I just got back from Syracuse... There was only 13 in's of the White stuff.... Had fun on my friends ATV's.. But back to the post... You might need a differant Bump stop and shorter shocks...
    Haha you must have missed the huge storm they had, over 95 hours of snow and like 3 ft fell!! I don't think I'll have to replace shocks with just the keys and block pull, and I'm crossing my fingers that I wouldn't need to swap em if I went with shackles.

Quote Originally Posted by stephan View Post
    Needing drop shocks will depend on how much travel is left in your Ranchos after you lower the truck. If they're close to bottoming out with the lowering, then yes you will. It would be nice if you can keep them though so you can set them stiff for this new driving style with the sway bars & all.
    From what I've been reading I can keep these for now-the ride is going to be stiffer, but I think I can get it set up so I won't be suffering too much.

Quote Originally Posted by 00chevy53 View Post
    it is a possibility... when you take out the blocks see where it sets and if you want the gap to be less then the shackles would be the cheapest way
    Just pulling the blocks will get me to the stock 2WD height it seems like, so I think I'd like to go with the drop shackles so I actually drop the back 4 from 4WD height, 2 from 2WD. You seem to know quite a bit about this, so what do you think about these two parts:

http://www.gcustoms.com/gcustomscom-...c73a7b9f311587
    Drop Shackles
    http://djmfactorystore.com/shop/cate...aram=cid%3D%26
    Torsion keys
    I've heard nothin but good things about DJMs stuff

2003 Silverado, SOLD 1/11/11 for my... 2001 Ford Mustang Bullit, #1787

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

You may have to Cut down the bump stops I think...
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Enkeiavalanche View Post
    You may have to Cut down the bump stops I think...
    Yeah, I'm not too worried about them though because I can always get a set for pretty cheap (like 20 bucks). I think I might just have to pull the trigger on this, for under 150 bucks I'm looking at a 3/4 drop (which is really only a 1/2 drop over the 2WD, but on this truck it'll look fine I think).

Any other opinions?

I would put your truck on bags. Least then (you never know when you might go off-road) you could raise and lower suspension at will. Of course probably a LOT more expensive.

But a 4x4 lowered, well. just dont tell people like me you lowered A 4x4 LOL maybe you could try and modify the driveline and convert to all time 4X4 , that'd be pretty sick.

Good Luck !

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by randomsandwhich View Post
    I would put your truck on bags. Least then (you never know when you might go off-road) you could raise and lower suspension at will. Of course probably a LOT more expensive.

But a 4x4 lowered, well. just dont tell people like me you lowered A 4x4 LOL maybe you could try and modify the driveline and convert to all time 4X4 , that'd be pretty sick.

Good Luck !
    Hahaha, well this is me not telling you that I want to drop a 4x4 I would love to bag it, but in all honesty-if I'm gonna spend that much cash on a truck it's probably not gonna be a daily driver. And I would rather put that much cash into a engine.

I say go for it man! That is gonna look dang good! I appreciate every style of truck and especially encourage when someone does somethin different!

2006 Duramax LBZ
    Edge Evo
    4'' Diamond eye to 6'' tip
    16'' ion alloy, 33'' fierce attitudes
    Lots of work left to do!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ntbush83 View Post
    I say go for it man! That is gonna look dang good! I appreciate every style of truck and especially encourage when someone does somethin different!
    Thanks, I'm def doing this-Stylin Trucks needs Hawaii to order over the phone though, so I have to call them in the morning. Going with DJM shackles and Belltech torsion keys (because I can get 3 inches out of them, compared to DJMs which are only 2 inches). If the shocks don't like the drop, then they'll just have to suffer for now cause they ain't changin for a while!

Legend
    Blog Entries

Hey Kid one thing you might want to keep an eye on is your drive shaft slip yoke. Measure the freeplay you have now before you lower it, & measure it again after your drop. You don't want to run out of clearance here or you'll be replacing some expensive parts.
    **Also you could end up with some u-joint vibration. 4wds aren't dropped that often so you're kind of pioneering the process here.
    Last edited by stephan; 12-13-2010 at 01:29 AM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... Last Post byLast Post by