GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Apprentice

Default Need new tires for my 20'' stock wheels. Suggestions

So here is a picture of what I have now. This is my first truck, so I'm not familiar with the latest tires on the market or what would even look good for an all-terrain tire on this rim. Any suggestions or pictures would be great.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	218.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	23163

depends on what your looking to off road or if you just want an allterrain tire casue it will look good... but start with bfg, nitto, dick cepek... it all really comes down to what your willing to spend and what your looknig to do with your truck, just a thought is your truck the stock hight?
    2000 single cab short bed 1500 w/ 6.0 vortec maxx swap from a 2006 2500, custom intake, slotted brakes, shorty headers, 8mm wires, electric fan, strait piped, 4.5 inch lift, asp pulleys, true dual through body exhaust, built trans w/ shift kit, custom tune ... 320rwhp

Jr. Apprentice

Yeah I simply want the all-terrain for look and just a little added traction. My truck is stock height, but I am about to install a leveling kit for the front end. Just wasn't sure if anyone had any specific tires in mind. Thanks

BFG's, Toyo and Nitto's all have good A/T's, and there round. Some cheaper A/T's are out of round. Chose wisely my son LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by silveradotrailblazer View Post
    . Some cheaper A/T's are out of round
    at our shop i see almost as many brand name tires out of round as i do cheap tires, I would look at the Goodyear silent armor great traction on and off road and look great

2003 Z71 Silverado LS
    Access roll up cover
    Bed Rails
    Billet Grill insert
    Bed Rug
    CB with PA system
    Waiting to be installed
    Two 8in RF HX2 punch( would have 12s but they got stolen)

there is the Toyo Open Country A/T, Hankook RF10, Cooper LTZ, and if you are looking for best possible look go to a 305/55r20. its gonna be slightly bigger and with the leveling kit it will look great. Stay away from the BFG A/T as they wear quick. I own a OK Tire up here in Canada and I see a lot of premature wear on the BFG. if you like the look of that tire look into the Continental Grabber AT2.

---------- Post added at 08:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 AM ----------

its actually the General Grabber AT2. Forgive me.

Jr. Apprentice

Great post guys. Thanks for all the suggestions. And can someone explain to me what "round" means? I know its probably stupid, but I rather ask than sit here and pretend like I know what I'm talking about.
    Last edited by blaketg; 12-12-2010 at 09:40 AM.

I've seen threads comparing the Cooper Zeon LTZ and the Dura-Trac (I think from Goodyear). Both look nice and give added traction. I don't know if the Dura-Trac comes in the OEM size though.

out of rounf means that it is "egg" shaped. you will always get a vibration out of that tire and it will most likelly wear funny. in my 10 years in the tire business i have seen mostly "cheap" tires out of round but there are a few "known" brands that have some out of round issues. Kumho is one to stay away from as far as out or round goes, but there is nothing in their line-up that wouls interest you anyways. Spend the extra cash and get a good quality tire.

I just put on Cooper Zeon LTZ's on my '07 20's. So far so good. Hope to get a better feel on snow performance after this storm hits in PA.