GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by
    Jr. Apprentice

Default 20" wheels to 17" wheels for winter

Just asking a question about changing wheels from 20" to 17" wheels for the winter. Is there any problems with the computer or anything? The 20" performance tires are lousy in the snow. Thinking of changing to the 17" with good snow tires just for the winter.

2010 Chev Silverado Crew cab 4 x 4 LTZ

Bill
    Brook Park, OH

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

I just put my Stock 18's on.. I run 20's in the warm months.. I just reset the Program with my Superchips..

With the tires what is the size ?
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

I don't know if you need a different sized rim. There are good tires for the 20" rims. The Cooper Zeon LTZs and the Goodyear Dura Trac are two that guys on here have used. I considered getting a set of ATs for the winter, but putting them on my 20" rims.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Remember sometimes it's not the tire but the chrome rims.. They don't like Salt.....

Jr. Apprentice

The tire diameter from my 20" wheels to the stock alloy 17" tires AT are almost the same by a friction. So there should not be a real difference in speedo and ABS issues.

Ya there wont be any issues as long as you are around the same total diameter for the tire. Chrome definately is destroyed in winter. Just make sure the tires you put on are all the same size so you dont destroy anything in 4X4.

I make this change every year with no issues, summer size is 305/50/20 winter size is 265/70/17. The reason I do it is to protect my chrome rims. The 20" tires are slightly taller but not enough to affect computer/abs. 17's are the original tires that came on the truck. As far as all terrains in 20" size they are pretty pricey, but in my opinion you want a skinnier tire for the snow anyway, so I'd go with a skinnier 17" wheel tire combo.

Winter set

Summer set

Last edited by adampaul1964; 12-15-2010 at 10:01 AM.
    Adam

Maybe off subject.. But does your truck sit higher w/ the 20" rims than the 17s??

Quote Originally Posted by Artomatic View Post
    Maybe off subject.. But does your truck sit higher w/ the 20" rims than the 17s??
    If the Tire Size...(Overall Diameter) is the same....the Truck will Not Sit Higher.....between the 17in' Rim or a 20in Rim.

Example,

A 17in'......Rim that has a Tire Size of......265/70/17....the Overall Diameter of that Tire is .........31.7in's

A 20in'......Rim that has a Tire Size of.......275/55/20.....the Overall Diameter of that Tire is.........31.9in's.

As you can see.....there is almost no difference in Overall Diameter between the 17in' tire and the 20in' tire.....the truck would sit at the same high-ed.

Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 12-14-2010 at 11:48 AM.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Maybe a little, difference in overall tire diameters is around 1/2", so it is a little taller, but not so as you'd notice.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by