GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default I am in a Dilemma! Regearing 2010 Sierra

I have a 2010 GMC Sierra with 3:08's front and rear on my 4x4! I have been looking to re-gear this truck, since new. I have purchased a SCT programmer a few years ago but recently discovered that the programmer only surrports a gearing to 3:90. I am riding on 33/12.50/18's! I have all along thought that 4:11's would be a good choice to re-gear but now am limited to go 3:90's, with the current programmer.
    In your opinion, (the guys that know) Would you be happy to have 3:90's or go with 4:11's and get another programmer? I do not mud my truck but have it, if necessary and drive it like a "Old" man. I pull a few trailers up to 3,500 lbs and travel from grades (sea level to 14,000ft) and the Truck is "WEAK"! What would you do? This is finally going to happen in the next few weeks. I just need some opinions from you guys in the know. Thanks for any reply's.
    2010 GMC SIERRA CREW CAB (Silver) 4x4, ReadyLift 2.5" Level Kit, 305/60/18 Dick Cepek Mud Country, Go Rhino Nerf Bars, Husky Liners front and rear, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, Custom tuned. 4:11's

In a perfect world 4.11's would be a great choice, but with the restrictions of your programmer and your comming from 3.08's I believe youll do fine with something in the 3.90 range. Itll feel like a new truck loaded and unloaded while probably returning better performance. I wouldnt be surprised to see a slight rise in gas mileage.

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    In a perfect world 4.11's would be a great choice, but with the restrictions of your programmer and your comming from 3.08's I believe youll do fine with something in the 3.90 range. Itll feel like a new truck loaded and unloaded while probably returning better performance. I wouldnt be surprised to see a slight rise in gas mileage.
    I am expecting a better fuel range if driven like I do! The current situation makes my engine to try to progress any up-hill challenge, allowing the trans to shift down and increase the RPM'S considerably constantly! That engineer, should be "FIRED", nuff said.

Have you looked at the cost of re-gearing compared to looking for a truck with a 3.73 or the 4.10?
    Finally a signature and Avatar! I also posted some pics in the Gallery.
    2011 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Z71 6Liter.
    2011 Outback Travel Trailer 260FL
    So Happy to not be on the edge of GVWR Over Load!!

Personally, I would regear with what I want, sell the programmer and then get a custom tune to adjust for the new gear.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

6. Likes squatchy liked this post

Do not let the programer control what gears you pick. I have 305/55r20's and have 4.11's and there are some days I wish I would have gone 4.56. Anything will be better than those 3.08's, but dont let a programer dictate your gear choice.

FWIW do 4.11's and a blakbear tune. You will think someone dropped a vette motor in your truck after driving around on 33's and 3.08's.

________2013 4C Rated__________

Quote Originally Posted by jake's silverado View Post
    Have you looked at the cost of re-gearing compared to looking for a truck with a 3.73 or the 4.10?
    $1,500.00 in and out! Far less than buying another.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    Personally, I would regear with what I want, sell the programmer and then get a custom tune to adjust for the new gear.
    I think you guys (you and ajarman)are right! 4:11's is what I wanted and that's what it's going to be.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ajarman View Post
    Do not let the programer control what gears you pick. I have 305/55r20's and have 4.11's and there are some days I wish I would have gone 4.56. Anything will be better than those 3.08's, but dont let a programer dictate your gear choice.

FWIW do 4.11's and a blakbear tune. You will think someone dropped a vette motor in your truck after driving around on 33's and 3.08's.
    How can I get a BlackBear tune? Is it a hand held or do I need to travel to get one? I have a local guy that does a tune for $350.00 and he is 3 miles away.

JimmyA, if you have a local guy that does custom tunes then do that. I waited for a in person tune with Justin at blackbear and it was $300. They have tune where they send you a cabel that will go in your DBII port and you log 40-60 miles and then you email them the data and they will email you a tune and send the cable back. Honestly the blackbear tune was far better than any of the hand helds I have ever owned.

Also I have had great luck with my Yukon 4.11's if you are looking into brands.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyA View Post
    $1,500.00 in and out! Far less than buying .
    Well that's not bad!

I rode to the install shop this morning and have on order 4:11 Yukon gears for my truck! Whoo-Hoo On July 7th I'll be delivering my truck to get the gear change. This is 3 yrs in the making, I can't wait! My 36 mth 36,000 mi warrenty expired a few mths ago so, I am ready to get things moving to enhance the the trucks abilities. Wish me luck! By the way these are the guys doing the re-gear http://longviewdriveshaft.com/ They have a nice shop and plenty accessories for trucks and jeeps. Another thing is the cost was cheaper than 1st quoted, $1249.00

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by