GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 3rd row seat won't open

Took my 3rd row bench seat out of my 2001 suburban to get my Xmas tree in and I noticed the seat won't open. There's a lever on the back that you lift and that allows the backrest to move up and down to allow for the seat to be folded down or sat in but the lever will only move a little bit, thus...not allowing the backrest to raise; so we can't use the seat now. Has anyone ever ran across this yet?

I haven't encountered such a problem on GM vehicles, but have on both early-90s Dodge Caravan and late-80s Ford Bronco. Both had fold-down/removable bench seats near the back door. We didn't use the seats much at all, had them folded-down most of the time.

Seems the pressure exerted by the fullness of the seat cushioning material put a lot of pressure on the latching mechanism (once the seat was folded down). We used to have to momentarily "sit on" the seat back (much like trying to close an over-stuffed suitcase), to release the pressure on that latch... then we could release the latch with ease (and raise the seat). It may not solve your problem, but you might try it.

hth - karl

When u pull the lever, PRESS ( or sit ) on the closed seat untill engaged !!!!!! HELPS !!!!

1996 Suburban K3500 SLT DUALLY
    1988 Camaro RS 383 stroker LT1
    1992 32' Aero-tek Race Boat, 600 CI BBC
    WE CAN STICK A DIESEL IN ANYTHING
    SPECIALIZED IN CUSTOM CONVERSIONS OF ANY KIND
    Scott:glasses:

I will try this tonight. Thanx

I had the same problem in my 07 and come to find out the cable was broke and if I remeber correctly from the service guy at the dealership you have to pull the seat cover off to get the cable. I could be wrong on that it was when I first picked the truck up it was broke I tired to pull the one out..

Quote Originally Posted by 99monguse View Post
    Took my 3rd row bench seat out of my 2001 suburban to get my Xmas tree in and I noticed the seat won't open. There's a lever on the back that you lift and that allows the backrest to move up and down to allow for the seat to be folded down or sat in but the lever will only move a little bit, thus...not allowing the backrest to raise; so we can't use the seat now. Has anyone ever ran across this yet?
    My parents have a 2001 suburban and they had the same problem, the center latch has to be fully engage to fold the seat down. Im not sure if u can use a screw driver and try and get the center latch to engage. if that doesnt work we had to take off the passenger side cover and move the metal peace, on the very end of the lever, down and out of the way so the lever can come up.

I messed with that thing for hours. I ended up taking it to an interior trim shop. The cables had too much slack in them.