GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Soft / smooth riding 20 inch tire suggestions

I have a 2010 Silverado with factory 20's (Goodyears).

I know they're going to ride rough, but I can feel every nook and cranny in the road along with small bumps I never even knew were there!!

Has anyone replaced their factory tires with some that ride a little better? Would a softer shock help? The pavement has to be ultra smooth before my truck even hints around at having a good ride.

Thanks in advance!!

IMO: sidewall height is key to a smoother ride. With low-profile tires, having little flexibility, one is asking all other components to "compensate". I suggest going with the tallest profile tire you can use... the rest of the suspension system components will better be able to "smooth" things out for you.

I've been running Cooper's on my truck for the past 2 summers, I use 305/50/20 which is a little taller than the factory 275/55/20 and therefore slightly more sidewall. I run the Discoverer H/T plus and I'm very happy with the ride and wear characteristics, I was going to go with an all terrain but in that size they are too pricey for me at moment. I've heard nothing but negatives about the Goodyears G.M. uses, I'm sure they are probably the cheapest thing they can find!
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by 04-silverado View Post
    IMO: sidewall height is key to a smoother ride. With low-profile tires, having little flexibility, one is asking all other components to "compensate". I suggest going with the tallest profile tire you can use... the rest of the suspension system components will better be able to "smooth" things out for you.
    Well, i'd really like to keep the sizes the same so that my speedo isn't really affected, etc. I've had 15 inch tires with tall sidewalls that rode rougher than others, so I know there's going to be the "best riding 275/55/20" stories. I guess if all else fails I'll investigate taller sidewalls. thanks for the input though!

---------- Post added at 09:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by adampaul1964 View Post
    I've been running Cooper's on my truck for the past 2 summers, I use 305/50/20 which is a little taller than the factory 275/55/20 and therefore slightly more sidewall. I run the Discoverer H/T plus and I'm very happy with the ride and wear characteristics, I was going to go with an all terrain but in that size they are too pricey for me at moment. I've heard nothing but negatives about the Goodyears G.M. uses, I'm sure they are probably the cheapest thing they can find!
    Are the wheels you have on the truck comparable to the factory 20's (width?). Just wondering if the 305/50/20 will be too wide. If that's them in the pic, they look great.

They are G.M. factory 20's model CK948, the 305's fit fine. Hopefully these pics show how well they fit.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by kalashluvr View Post
    Well, i'd really like to keep the sizes the same so that my speedo isn't really affected, etc. I've had 15 inch tires with tall sidewalls that rode rougher than others, so I know there's going to be the "best riding 275/55/20" stories. I guess if all else fails I'll investigate taller sidewalls. thanks for the input though!
    Aside from the excellent advice others may offer here, I suggest going to this website:

rimsntires.com

"Play" with specs, try different settings, compare results, see differences... "Find what fits"

Determine what the factory original OVERALL height was. Remember it is the overall original HEIGHT (inflated tire) which needs to be maintained within about +/- 3-5% (i.e., an error of 3 to 5 mph @ 100 mph ... half that error at 50 mph ... etc.) or your FACTORY speedometer calibration will be out. When considering a change in TIRE SIZE, goto this website:

1010tires.com

"Input your original Vehicle Stock Tire Size data" and then input one (or more) alternative tire sizes to see how much ERROR there is going to be.

I don't stray from original factory setup, but many others do. If your speedometer gets too far out of calibration, you could always have it recalibrated (or even buy a tuner of your own that will perform such a function).

...just my 2cents -- karl
    Last edited by 04-silverado; 12-15-2010 at 11:49 AM. Reason: clarification

Thanks for all the info everyone. If anyone has replaced their factory 275/55-20's with the same size but different brand of tire and the truck rides better, please chime in...thanks!!

Some suburbans/avalanches come with the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza. Check into these and see what you think. Maybe you know somebody that drives a 'burb or avalanche? BTW, what pressure do you keep your tires at?
    -Sal

2008 Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L Crew Cab
    Desert Brown Metallic

Century top, Yakima roof rack, 2.5" front lift, Readylift 3" rear blocks, Line-x bedliner, step bars, AVS vent visors, Weathertech floor liners, door sill guards, power tailgate lock, tailgate damper, KC light bar w/ PIAA 525s, rear mini-light bar, rear LED reverse/utility lights, dual batteries (Cole Hersee isolator), DIC upgrade, 20" GM wheels, Cooper Discoverer A/T3s, 26 gal. onboard air (twin Viair 480Cs), Nathan Airchime K3HA / Old cast 2nd Gen. P3 Horns, Graham White valve, bell

Past Chevys: 1985 S-10 ext.cab, 1963 BelAir sedan

Quote Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
    Some suburbans/avalanches come with the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza. Check into these and see what you think. Maybe you know somebody that drives a 'burb or avalanche? BTW, what pressure do you keep your tires at?
    Ahh...good idea. I have a few friends that have Yukons with 20's.

The pressure is around 33 or 34 right now. I thought about dropping it down to 30lbs to see if there's any improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by kalashluvr View Post
    Ahh...good idea. I have a few friends that have Yukons with 20's.

The pressure is around 33 or 34 right now. I thought about dropping it down to 30lbs to see if there's any improvement.
    Just remember some of those vehicles might have Autoride, which may make the ride a little smoother than your leaf springs.
    -Sal

2008 Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L Crew Cab
    Desert Brown Metallic

Century top, Yakima roof rack, 2.5" front lift, Readylift 3" rear blocks, Line-x bedliner, step bars, AVS vent visors, Weathertech floor liners, door sill guards, power tailgate lock, tailgate damper, KC light bar w/ PIAA 525s, rear mini-light bar, rear LED reverse/utility lights, dual batteries (Cole Hersee isolator), DIC upgrade, 20" GM wheels, Cooper Discoverer A/T3s, 26 gal. onboard air (twin Viair 480Cs), Nathan Airchime K3HA / Old cast 2nd Gen. P3 Horns, Graham White valve, bell

Past Chevys: 1985 S-10 ext.cab, 1963 BelAir sedan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast