GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Throttle Body

Hybrid View

Default Throttle Body

Hey guys hope everyone is having a great Holiday season. I was wondering, what do you guys think about switching my 85 454 burb over to a throttle body? Will a newer carb swap right in? Are there kits? Is it worth it?

Thanks!
    Last edited by crane557; 12-15-2010 at 10:33 AM. Reason: mispell
    1985 c20 Suburban "Amtrack"
    7.4 liter project

It's currently carb, and you want to go to TBI, right? Well, you may gain some fuel mileage. You'd have to install a computer, the TBI (TPS sensor, 2 injectors, and I think another sensor on the TBI), an oxygen sensor, coolant temp sensor, and possibly a new intake manifold. It's really relatively simple. All the mods are on the intake with the exception of the exhaust. If you can pull a TBI, intake manifold, oxygen sensor, wiring harness, and computer off a truck for cheap, it might be worth it. Otherwise, I'd consider staying with the carb, and possibly switching to a 4-barrel with a light foot on the accelerator if this isn't already the case. TBI vs carb for performance, the 4-barrel carb would win any day because the TBI is only a 2-barrel.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Legend
    Blog Entries

In addition to everything Crawdaddy mentioned, you'll also need a c.c. distributor & a knock sensor, & possibly a half dozen other things we forgot lol. I went the other way & switched my '88 TBI over to 4 bbl carbed with an HEI distributor for the simplicity, & more power & it actually gets better mpg than the TBI did. 11.9 vs. 8.1.. I would stick with what you have. It is easier for you to work on, & the wiring harness alone will make you wish you hadn't ever thought about TBI.
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

Legend
    Blog Entries

One word from me if you want to "Donor" getting a donor truck will make the switch very simple. Oh and stephan the wiring harness on the TBis really isnt to bad in my opinion. (i had to go thru 3 harnesses before i got the right one). But as mentioned for peroformance a 4bbl will beat the TBi becasue the TBi just isnt designed to flow as well.
    I am personally a fan of EFI. I can work on and repair an EFI system way easier than a carb (this is just because of the era that i grew up in) so it all boils down to personal preference.
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

WOW thanks for all the great replies! It sounds like I may have to stick with the current setup for now, besides who doesnt want more horsepower lol.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by murdog94 View Post
    One word from me if you want to "Donor" getting a donor truck will make the switch very simple. Oh and stephan the wiring harness on the TBis really isnt to bad in my opinion. (i had to go thru 3 harnesses before i got the right one). But as mentioned for peroformance a 4bbl will beat the TBi becasue the TBi just isnt designed to flow as well.
    Good point Mike, (3 wiring harnesses before you got the right one)<-- This is only one reason I would talk a novice out of doing this swap.
    The donor rig would be a BIG plus..

BTW Crane, I thought of a few more things you'll need. A new fuel pump 12-15 psi, & new style f.i. fuel filter & fittings, new fuel lines (2) either a "hard" pressure line, or one of the plastic with the woven metal covering circa 1988-up, & a return line to run the extra fuel back to the tank. You'll probably also have to fit a new fuel tank, as the attachment fittings for the top ring (stock tank) won't suit the new pump installation..

Oh...Yeah. The common conversion is going from TBI to carb. You almost never see it go the other way around. I totally forgot about the rest of the fuel system.

(0.0) wow doesnt spound very simple.

Thanks