GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Swapping stock 6 disk for navigation?

Hi everybody! My name is Greg & I am new here, so forgive me if this has already been discussed (if so, please point me to a link). I have a 2005 Tahoe LT2 with the XM ready, 6 disk cd player with stock rear entertainment & Bose speakers. A buddy of mine is giving me the Navigation unit from his '05 Tahoe Z71 that he parted out.

My question is this: What all is actually involved in putting that Nav unit in my Tahoe? Is it just plug & play or are the actual plugs/wiring differant? Do I need other parts, such as a different antenna? Or would saving up some $ & going with aftermarket be the way to go?

I tried talking to another friend @ the service & parts counters @ my local Chevy dealership, but they say they never had to think about it, so they don't know.

Thanks for reading.
    Greg.

Legend

Blog Entries

Hi Greg and welcome to the Club!! Unfortuntaly, I do not know the answer to your question but I am sure someone will be along soon who does, as there are a ton of stereo experts here.

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Thanks. I'm just hoping maybe somebody already tried it or knows someone that tried it. I guess we'll find out one way or another! Only problem with trying my friend's unit is shipping it here to Idaho from California.

Greg.

i hate when people want to do this at work! its a pain in the ass from the tech side of it u need to program the radio whichs turns into headache in cars that didnt come w them so be prepared to spend some money for custom program at dealer if they will even do it for u alot of them are turning this away because u lose time if doesnt go well
    2000 sierra 1500 5.3
    k&n cai
    hypertech programmer
    flowmaster catback
    7" lift 456' s. 35/12.5 nitto teragrapplers
    roll bar. Baha spare tire holder
    brush guard custom tail lights
    full sound system dvd nav

That's what it's looking like (pain in the arse & lot's of money).

Thanks,
    Greg.