GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default How do you keep your truck clean?

I'm guilty, I haven't hand washed a vehicle in years. I go to the drive-through car wash and let the machine do the work.

However, I still like to put a coat of wax on it every month in the spring and summer.

What does everyone else do?

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

well usually my vehicles are caked with mud so the car wash guys just laugh at me and tell me to go somewhere else. On occasion i will hand wash it, it just comes out better that way.
    Dan
    1999 GMC Sierra 2500 350 vortec
    1967 Jeep M725 ambulance 230 tornado
    1990 Cherokee Limited- 3 inch lift on 33's
    ...and every one of em has issues

If you have any questions or problems don't hesitate to send me or any other GMTC moderators a PM

I'm a hand washer. I use my pressure washer and attachments at home. I have not been to a car wash in years. I just waxed mine a couple of weeks ago.

Jamie

2007 Ford E250(Work van) (Ya, Ya, shut up!)
    1996 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 5.7L/4L60E

I hand wash once a month and run them through the auto wash about twice a month.

Master Mechanic

mine gets cleaned every time it rains
    it's free
    Jeff

1968 Chrysler Imperial Crown 4 door ht ~ resto project
    1984 Buick Le Sabre 4 door sedan~daily driver

BUY ONLY GENUINE ACME PRODUCTS

Jr. Mechanic

i use some stuff called meguires elite car wash concentrate... really good stuff for whenever you need a good shine and then i use meguires hot shine tire shine and then hot wheels wheel cleaner...then i clean the pipes with some brillo pads to keep em shiny... Ill wax it at the beginning of the month... i wash my burb about 3 times a month..

I'm a hand washer too, I never go to the carwash.
    The Savana will get stuck in there.
    Peter Smet
    Haasdonk, Belgium

I definitely prefer to hand wash. I used to enjoy it as a Saturday ritual, but no longer have the physical stamina to do it as I like it done. I try to avoid the automatic car wash, because over time they do wear away at your finish. I prefer Meguire's products. Since the advent of good clear coat paint systems, I have not been much for waxing. What are the rest of you using for wax on your clear coat enamels? I usually go to the "quarter wash" as needed, and then as I am able do a good hand wash, complete with Q-Tips in the door jambs.

The new Nox is the first black vehicle I have owned. I have trouble w/water spots when drying it at home. The spot free rinse at "quarter wash" is great, but the garden hose water evidently has minerals. Does anyone know of a good rinse product?

Respectfully,
    BINGO53
    '07 Nox LT
    '99 Saturn SL1

Sr. Engineer
    Blog Entries

Hand wash every weekend unless it's raining (which has been killing me lately). I can't stand getting a crappy wash at a drive-thru and I don't trust those guys anyway!!!

Ha! would take me a week to go over how I keep my vehicle clean if I were to go into real detail( no pun intended ). I am a detail fanatic and my truck is seldom dirty.

Pretty much...

Hand wash daily weather permitting( touch free car wash 2 X's p/week during winter when I can't do it myself ).

Cleaner Wax, Polish( sometimes the colored variety to help with any scratches ), Premium Wax( Carnuba ) once p/ month once temps hit 50 degrees. Light weight quality wax every other week as a touch up also weather permitting. Once temps drop below 50 I will run it through the touch free car wash 1 p/week until I can no longer wash it myself and then it is covered by the 2X's p/week mentioned above.

Vacuumed almost daily year round barring wet weather that day. Windows washed 2-3 X's p/week. Dash and door panels treated 1 p/week & dusted daily( TIP - Pledge "Grab-It" untreated dusting cloths work GREAT to remove dust and such from your interior trim/dash ).

Literally my vehicles look as good as the day they were brand new, if not better, even 3-4 years down the road when I sell them. Now, this is not to say my truck is NEVER dirty. Things happen and I am not always able to clean it as I like. Duck season is especially hard as not only am I in and out covered with mud and dirt but so is the dog plus it is winter time so we have a double dose of dirt. Some of the job sites can be really messy as well.

Pretty much though my truck is kept spotless and sparkling. Can't stand a dirty vehicle.

I pretty much only use Meguiar's products as well. When possible I use their Gold Class line. Nothing better out there so readily available IMO.
    Last edited by NHSilverado; 06-05-2007 at 06:50 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by