GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Hey,

I am very interested in your service (Diesel engine swap). It seems that you guys are GM guys here, so I will ask. Should I look into a Ford Excursion or would you prefer working with a Suburban? Also what is the maximum (approximate) MPG's that I could get with a swap in a vehicle like this one (I assume I will need additional mods to get it where I really want it) and the approximate total cost for something like that.

I would be shopping for the vehicle and am open to suggestions, so let me know which vehicle(s) similar to this get the best bang for the buck so we can do some bu$ine$$.

Thanks,
    Mr.ScottieGee

Sr. Apprentice

I'm just gonna piss into the wind on this one...

So you're saying that I can toss a 6.5 Diesel into my 1500 to replace the 4.8L V8, won't need to change the front end components to adjust for the weight?

What's the price tag if I just want to buy one of these reman motors off you with transmission?
    2006 Chevorlet Silverado "Tank" 1500 LT Regular Cab
    - Diamond Plate Tool Box
    - Tonneau Cover

Future Mods :
    - BDSuspension 6" Lift
    - 35% Tints
    - Tow Mirrors (Heated/Power)
    - 35" Tires
    - Cat-back exhaust
    - Cold Air Intake

I think they went out of business, haven't seen any replies in a while. I am still wondering..... What the big differences in the GM 6.2L and 6.5L diesel have that is different than the 6.6 and 6.9L Dmaxes?

The only problem I have (for me) is that everything else that has 13 years of wear on them is 13 years old and falling apart..... be nice to do this to a new truck.

If they are gone, check out DuraBurb in central florida. They do some nice work. They also sell trucks that are already done. I think they charge $15000-$21000 for the conversion, depending on the options you go with. Tey also sell already converted suburbans for somewhere around $30000-$40000. Make sure you find the one in central Florida, there is one in Texas selling converted suburbans for $80,000. I think to put a diesel in a 1500 you would have to change the hood and grill over to the HD. I don't think that the diesel will fit in a standard 1500
    Last edited by Pikey; 03-05-2013 at 08:33 AM.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

Haven't seen Daredevil's postings in quite some time.
    It was a HUGE bargain-just $6000-that it actually made sense.
    The current offerings- $15,000- 20,000 and up-
    Well they mae sense for Diesel fanatics-and there are LOTS ofdiesel pickup 1/2 3/4 ton-and diesel car fans
    But for folks who just love their Suburban for being a GIGANTIC reasonably priced(used) comfortable road trip do anything vehicle-the diesel conversions don't make $$ and cents sense.
    Especially now that Dodge has a normal plain jane 300 HP v-6 1/2 TON EPA 25 mpg hy-
    GM-when they get the time/$ etc-will match that(they concentrated on cars-and exotic cars VOLT)-so GM probably has had to neglect updating their drivetrains-but they will-since they are making a decent profit-have their labor costs under control-so GM will match that 25mpg hy 1/2 ton with a normal spark motor-no complicated dual turbo etc.

So you gotta ask- what is the point in having a $5000 option 1/2 ton diesel-if a spark motor can get such good mpg??
    Usually the answer is-no point.But I think Dodge is offering a 1/2 ton diesel van 3.0 lt 4 cyl TD- Italian European motor I think-so who knows.
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456