GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Exclamation Need help asap!! Head lights dont work!!

I have a very bad situation on my hands. After installing these new lights Attachment 22922

one side of the HIDs went out day after i put them in then today the other HID stopped working. I checked the fuses and sure enough both fuses blew. idk if it relates, but i wired the new lights to a fuse for the orange running lights. im thinking im asking for too much power out of the lights circuit and it causing me to blow fuses. but i disconnected the new ligths in hopes to just run my hids but now im blowing fuses just on the hids. but when i put a new fuse in and put the factory bulb in the fuse held up. im stumped on what it could be. does anyone have any suggestions or what i can do to help this? i need to get this fixed asap because i would like my HID lights back running. thanks in advance.

2007 Silverado Crew Cab
    5.3 L Vortec V8
    LT1 Package
    Driver Information Center (from gmpartsclub.com)
    Volant Cold Air Intake
    6000k HID DDMTuning Kit
    LED tailgate bar 3rd brake light
    LED lights for foot wells
    LED Side Bars
    LED Headlight Accents
    Husky Mud Guards

Jr. Mechanic

Hey man your attachment doesn't work.... Just to clear something up, how did you wire the HIDs to run on the amber running light circuit? And why didn't you just run them off the normal headlight circuit? Hope we can help ya out...
    2002 Sileverado 1500, Ext. cab, short box, 5.3l, Z71
    Cignito Leveling Kit
    Bilstein Shocks
    ANZO projector headlights with halo's
    Various brand L.E.D. tail lights, turn signals, & 3rd brake light
    Smoked fog lights
    285/75/R16 BFG All-Terrain T/A KOs
    16" Pro-Comp 7089 rims
    Custom 2-tone Flat-Black/Stock-Red Paint
    Viper 5701 Responder LE Remote Start System
    WeatherTech FloorLiner floor mats

look into a relay kit for the HID's. they only cost a couple dollars, pulls power from the battery (still hooked to headlight switch) and has a fuse. dont run it on the amber lights. even without the relay dont run them off the sidemarker fuse, try running it like it should be installed (ballast connected to the headlight connector). the relay is just for those that have trouble drawing enough power from the stock power.

I have HID's (wifes car) on the headlights with a relay and the fogs are HID without a relay. No issue getting enough power to either. I initially did the relay to be safe, but wasnt necessary. they are both on at the same time when driving.
    Last edited by dsfloyd; 12-01-2010 at 03:44 PM.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

ok let me try the attachment again Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5a.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	23048 (these are the new lights)

ive had my hids in for 11 months and havent had a problem with them. they were hooked up to the normal headlights (i may have confused you there). these new LEDs are the the ones i wired into the oragne marker lights and are causing all the problems.

so since i hooked these up it has caused my hids to stop working for some reason. and i know there is still power going to the headlights because i put a factory bulb back in to try and find the problem was and it lit up fine. stupid me, looked back at the directions to installing the new leds and they sai you need a 12V wire off the battery or something along those line. so do you think i messed up my ballasts or somthing else?

Quote Originally Posted by bvogts25 View Post
    I have a very bad situation on my hands. After installing these new lights Attachment 22922

one side of the HIDs went out day after i put them in then today the other HID stopped working. I checked the fuses and sure enough both fuses blew. idk if it relates, but i wired the new lights to a fuse for the orange running lights. im thinking im asking for too much power out of the lights circuit and it causing me to blow fuses. but i disconnected the new ligths in hopes hid headlights to just run my hids but now im blowing fuses just on the hids. but when i put a new fuse in and put the factory bulb in the fuse held up. im stumped on what it could be. does anyone have any suggestions or what i can do to help this? i need to get this fixed asap because i would like my HID lights back running. thanks in advance.
    Maybe if you install a relay with them hooked up their it will work.

Jr. Mechanic

Hmmm... that's confusing. Hey what amp fuzes are you using on those running lights? I am running hy halos off the running light circuit and never have blown a fuze. Other than that I have no clue what's goin on. Sorry I'm useless! lol Hope ya get it figgured out...
    Last edited by ChivaLRy; 12-06-2010 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChivaLRy View Post
    Hmmm... that's confusing. Hey what amp fuzes are you using on those running lights? I am running hy halos off the running light circuit and never have blown a fuze. Other than that I have no clue what's goin on. Sorry I'm useless! lol Hope ya get it figgured out...
    stock it has 20 amp fuses, and i didnt mess with those at all. but its really weird because its blowing the head light fuses when i didnt really add anything to them. the orange running lights still work fine. i even tried putting a 25 amp in for the headlight circuit and it blew that right away. ill have some time to mess with it more at the end of the week. i really wan to get it fix though. i miss my HIDs

Ok so it was when the LEDs were installed. if the LEDs call for a relay I would do that, but since both HIDs went it could possibly have messed up the ballasts. search for bench testing the HID ballasts (dont remember off the top of my head how to do it) or if you have a car custom shop they may have the equipment to test the ballast. fortunately ddm tuning (very cheap and online place for HID's and they work) is local so I usually go in but have had them test a ballast before. could be pure coincidence to but that would just be bad luck.

thanks for the advise. tomorrow night im definitally going to test out all the possibilities on it. and i have a buddy who knows quite a bit about wiring lights so worse come to worse i drive it to his house and see what he can come up with. ill keep everyone posted on what i find out

so i took a multimeter to the head lights tonight to check the resistance and see if the hids are bad or the circuit it bad. the resistance on the factory bulbs was almost 0 while the hids were over 2000. so im thinking there is something wrong with them. i plan on calling ddmtuning tomorrow and double checking with them.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by