GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Straight Pipe or Cutouts ???

well its time for an exhaust change and i cant decide between just cutting the exhaust right behind the cats... or (the more pricier option) doing a cutout with an electronic switch
    anybody doing these?

Depending on which truck it is, on some u need the extra pipe for back press.. or the engine will actually be very low on tourge !!!

1996 Suburban K3500 SLT DUALLY
    1988 Camaro RS 383 stroker LT1
    1992 32' Aero-tek Race Boat, 600 CI BBC
    WE CAN STICK A DIESEL IN ANYTHING
    SPECIALIZED IN CUSTOM CONVERSIONS OF ANY KIND
    Scott:glasses:

sorry its a 2004 silverado 2500 6.0L
    geared at 5;13.... lots of torque and HP... when i bought it was actually straight piped and cut after the cat but georgia requires an exhaust... im just gonn run a false one so it looks like i have one haha with the dual pipes i have already on it

There is nothing I hate more than the noise of straight pipes. Some trucks sound like a machine gun going down the road. It sounds cheap. If you add electric cutouts, get a nice set of headers. The headers will totally change the way any engine sounds for the better.

Check out my old chevy with open headers.

1988 Chevy Step Side
    .060 over bored 350 4 bolt main block, ZZ4 GMPP heads, SpeedPro pistons, Total seal TS1 gapless rings, Crane roller cam, 10.75:1 compression, Offenhauser cross ram intake, Two 350 TBI units, Walbro 255Lph pump, FJO injector driver, AeroMotive bypass regulator, Proform Roller lifters, Dynamic EFI flash ECM upgrade, Custom serpentine accessory drive, Melling high pressure High volume pump, Scat crank and rods, ceramic Headers, 3" pipes with flowmasters, MSD.

Sr. Apprentice

Personally I would do cutouts so that you can open them when you want to. Sometimes you wanna be a little quiet and others not so much, it will be like having two exhausts and when you get pulled over for being too loud, just hit the switch and tell them they have the wrong truck

I agree with daredevil.....I had a buddy with an ford ranger and ran straight pipes and it sounded like a pissed off mosquito. Then another friend had a Z71 5.7 L 350 with straight pipes and he would rattle glass as he went down the road. It was a bunch cooler back when I was young.

Quote Originally Posted by Amarr014 View Post
    sorry its a 2004 silverado 2500 6.0L
    geared at 5;13.... lots of torque and HP... when i bought it was actually straight piped and cut after the cat but georgia requires an exhaust... im just gonn run a false one so it looks like i have one haha with the dual pipes i have already on it
    Keep it stock , well i mean a cat back system is fine..other then that i would not change it !!!!