GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Tires for my AWD ! What do you like?

This vehicle will see myriad of conditions from tons of highway road trips, to plenty of offroad trails, a bit of snow, a possibility of sand and a bit of boat towing.

Im leaning towards a bit of an aggressive off road look for styling, but im not going overboard by any means. ( no swampers ) lol.

If i let tirerack do the research for me it would seem that the top 3 options are:

Firestone Destination AT

Kumho Road Venture SAT KL61

Michellin LTX A/T 2

Based on a 245/70/16 or a 245/75/16

Loving any input from you AWD guys!

Thanks!

- Grae

Legend
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the GM truck club Grae. Us, selecting tires for your vehicle is going to be difficult. The best thing you can do is determine what percentage of each type of driving you're going to do, & go with the tire that best fills the requirements for the highest percentage. My only caution would be to not go too agressive on the tread if you don't like tire noise on surfaced roads.
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

Nitto Terra Grapplers are a good choice (what I'm running). Heard good things on the Kumho's as well.

Thanks guys... Yes, back when i was into the range rover scene i had some off roading pals with the terra grapplers, and the geolanders, which they liked well, respectively. I had the bit more aggressive Dunlop Maxx Traction, which were semi loud but very good.

Regarding the % of road condition issue..... Seeing that 99% of our U.S. roads are paved.... ( or so it feels ) The question is answered there. Its the necessary evil to get to where the offroad/ sand and snow conditions... In my area, in my opinion. This is why i chose the AT tire family.

Now, to argue with myself a bit, I took the new AWD van up into the local hills, and found some snow to play around it. The van came with some very worn Toyo Open Countrys. I was shocked at how well it handled in snow, even with almost bald fronts and 50% rears. It was impressive. I can only assume that the the AWD and shear weight of the van was a huge help. Cant wait to get some new tires on there and conquer ALL ! : )

Michelin. No contest.
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.

BFG All Terrain
    www.youtube.com/ippielb
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 z71 1985 Chevrolet Silverado k10 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd 6.6l LLY Duramax
    6.5" BDS Suspension Lift Edelbrock Carb & Polished Intake Manifold & Valve Covers NAPC Race Transmission & NAPC Built Transfer Case
    EFI Live Comp Cam and Valvetrain Snow Performance Methanol Injection
    35" Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain on 18" Ion Alloy 179's Headman Long Tube Headers and True Dual Exhaust FASS 150gph Titanium Series Pump
    AirAid Cold Air Intake with K&N Dry Filter & AirAid PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer 2" Suspension Lift 33x12.50r15 Tires EFI Live & AFE Stage 2 Intake
    Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with Cats Gone True Dual Exhaust FlowPro 3.73 Gears Yukon Grizzly Locker with Mag-Hytec Cover & Traction Bars
    NGK Iridium Tips & MSD Ignition Plug Wires Baja Spare Tire Holder 33x13.5 Hankook rt03 18" XD Rims
    Innovate LC-1 Wideband o2 Sensor x2 HID's all around LED taillights and 3rd brake light
    BDS Dual Steering Stabilizers Pioneer Double-DIN Touchscreen Navigation with Two 10" Subs under rear seat
    Electric Fan Autometer Pressure, Boost, and Pyro Gauges
    4.56 Gears Airlift Air Bag Suspension

Legend
    Blog Entries

Firestone or Bridgestone all day! i have the destinations and a set of Duellers. Both perform Awsome in the snow.
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Thanks again for the input. So far im leaning twords the Firestones. They seem to have the best rating, based on the largest miles reported ( out of the top five rated tires. Runners up based on the data would be Duelers or the BFGs, But the highly ranked "old" duelers must have been discont, cause they dont come in hardly any size. The "new" duelers ( Dueler 2 ) rank just a bit higher, but on severely less mileage criteria reported.

Based on price alone, the Firestones win the day and also have the better rating in all categories and on higher reported mileage. ( i nixed the #1 rated Kumho based on its how little reported mileage there is)

Data: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=ORAT

... I could be over thinking this. : ) Sounds like they are all good tires.

Michelin are the best..most money..but the best, no doubt !!!!!

1996 Suburban K3500 SLT DUALLY
    1988 Camaro RS 383 stroker LT1
    1992 32' Aero-tek Race Boat, 600 CI BBC
    WE CAN STICK A DIESEL IN ANYTHING
    SPECIALIZED IN CUSTOM CONVERSIONS OF ANY KIND
    Scott:glasses:

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Scorpion STR Is what I run during the summer months....Yes they can be Big $$$ But I found them on Craigslist cheap with only 5000 miles on them. And after driving this past summer with them I love'em....
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by