GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Engine Restorer

Sr. Apprentice

Default Engine Restorer

Hey, has anybody used Engine Restorer? My Suburban has 242,000 miles and i was wondering if it would do anything. The truck runs fines but i was just curious if this would restore some lost power or if it would just clog up the engine or do more harm than good?

If the truck runs fine then I won't add anything.

What's the history of the vehicle, has any work been done to the engine? Are you the first owner, do you know the service history? Does it need other regular service done?

These are the questions I would look at and then do simple things first like RXP or SeaFoam in the gas to help break up the carbon deposits and give you better combustion. Then I would look at stuff like engine restorer, which claim to repair pockets and worn out areas in the cyllendar walls. I need to see independent research on this type of thing. I remember a product called Slick/50 that came out like 20 years ago, turns out that it actually did harm to engines and they got sued and went out of business. There's only so much that additives , can do.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

Legend
    Blog Entries

Hey Benz, are you talking about the additive that carries the exact name "Restore" that claims it fills the scratches in the cylinder walls & increases compression? If this is the one you're talking about, I put a can of that stuff in my old Camaro (150,000 miles) & whether psycological effect or not, it did seem to run better, & I picked up .5 mpg...
    (I never checked the compression to verify) however I think it is not a permanent cure. I believe you have to add it on every oil change.. which makes an oil change quite expensive
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

Sr. Apprentice

My mom bought the Suburban brand new and then i got it when i turned sixteen. It hasn't had any engine work done and i have the full history of it. I use seafoam every other oil change so do you guys think that would be enough?

Things like engine restorer are snake oil. I admit, I tried the slick 50 in my old explorer and had nothing but problems after. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's why my engine never developed oil pressure at idle for 11 years until I finally got rid of the truck. Never had a problem, but I never trusted the truck to go very far (that, and the 325k miles).

Many of these things rely upon old engine problems. Sludge in the engine? If you ever rebuilt an engine which used leaded gas versus new engines without leaded gas, you would know that new engines rarely, if ever, suffer from sludge build up. I hated rebuilding old car engines (I restore mustangs as a hobby) that never had harden valve seats installed so they could run on unleaded.

Modern fuels and modern oils take care of 99% of keeping an engine cleaned out. Seafoam is a good product, but usually only one I will use if I have a known problem, such as a sticking lifter. I will occasionally drop in some fuel system cleaner, but that's usually only if I let the car sit for a period. THe ethanol fuels can cause problems when it sits too long.
    Last edited by Cobrasix; 12-27-2010 at 07:19 AM.