GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default It's HOT outside! *Rearview mirror temp readout content*

So the compass works fine on the rearview mirror, but it tells me that it's well over 100 degrees almost all the time. It was about 40 out this morning, but the mirror said it was 122.

Whazzup with that?

Legend

Blog Entries

Is this regarding the '99 burb?

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Just to comment, Mine does same thing. Especially with defrost on, max heat and max blower. I think it messes with the sensor sometimes. Once you start driving the temperature becomes more realistic. Don't think its a defect just the location and how the sensor reads outside air.

Quote Originally Posted by mfleetwood View Post
    Is this regarding the '99 burb?
    It is. '99.

---------- Post added at 09:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by randomsandwhich View Post
    Just to comment, Mine does same thing. Especially with defrost on, max heat and max blower. I think it messes with the sensor sometimes. Once you start driving the temperature becomes more realistic. Don't think its a defect just the location and how the sensor reads outside air.
    Not mine. It goes down a few degrees, but I've never seen it below 88.

Legend

Blog Entries

I'm not familiar with the burb's or that year, but I had a '97 sierra in which someone had installed an aftermarket temp/compass mirror.....and they mounted the outdoor temperture sensor too close to the radiator. That could be the problem if the gauge reads correctly when first starting out and then maintains the high temp after the engine is warmed up. If it starts out wrong to begin with, you might need to replace the sensor.

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Quote Originally Posted by mfleetwood View Post
    I'm not familiar with the burb's or that year, but I had a '97 sierra in which someone had installed an aftermarket temp/compass mirror.....and they mounted the outdoor temperture sensor too close to the radiator. That could be the problem if the gauge reads correctly when first starting out and then maintains the high temp after the engine is warmed up. If it starts out wrong to begin with, you might need to replace the sensor.
    That makes sense. I'll probably just replace the sensor at some point. Till then, I'll just pretend I'm actually driving in the Bahamas.