GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jr. Apprentice

Default Satellite Radio on 2008 Silverado question

Sorry Newb here... did search, after page 6 I gave up hope! Please forgive me if this is somewhere in the 90 pages it lists. I just purchased a 2008 Silverado LT and from what I have read it should come with satellite standard from 2008 on. When I hit the band button I get am/fm only and if I hit the "cat" button it says "xm function only". I did not get a owners manual for this vehicle . If there is a way to turn this function on please let me know... or did someone order it XM delete because as stated above I believe that all 2008 up had it no matter what. Sorry for the long explanation.
    Thanks in advance
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Dubsport View Post
    Sorry Newb here... did search, after page 6 I gave up hope! Please forgive me if this is somewhere in the 90 pages it lists. I just purchased a 2008 Silverado LT and from what I have read it should come with satellite standard from 2008 on. When I hit the band button I get am/fm only and if I hit the "cat" button it says "xm function only". I did not get a owners manual for this vehicle . If there is a way to turn this function on please let me know... or did someone order it XM delete because as stated above I believe that all 2008 up had it no matter what. Sorry for the long explanation.
    Thanks in advance
    Richard
    Chevy Offer's......XM Satellite as a Trial Offer on their New Vehicle's.....after the trail period is up....it is Up to the Owner on weather they want to keep and Buy a XM Satellite package.......Also the Stereo must be XM Satellite Capable and that is with a....8 Digit Code in the Stereo....and then Contact XM Satellite,

To activate your XM Satellite, you will need the following:
    .....Turn your XM radio on and tune it to channel 1
    ....The 8-digit Radio ID from your XM Radio that is displayed on channel 0.
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 01-01-2011 at 06:12 PM.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Jr. Apprentice

Thanks for the quick reply.... I am begining to think that although all 2008 are supposed to be satellite equipped mine is not, because it is not even firing up the xm screen!
    :(
    Quote Originally Posted by 99'HEARTBEAT View Post
    Chevy Offer's......XM Satellite as a Trial Offer on their New Vehicle's.....after the trail period is up....it is Up to the Owner on weather they want to keep and Buy a XM Satellite package.......Also the Stereo must be XM Satellite Capable and that is with a....8 Digit Code in the Stereo....and then Contact XM Satellite,

To activate your XM Satellite, you will need the following:
    .....Turn your XM radio on and tune it to channel 1
    ....The 8-digit Radio ID from your XM Radio that is displayed on channel 0.

Check for the XM antenna on the roof.

________2013 4C Rated__________

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Did you get a Window sticker with the truck? Do you know the past owner? Find the build sheet?
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Jr. Apprentice

Got nothing... I bought the truck at a dealer in less than 1 hr in and out the door. Stupid me didn't check for the owner manual (very happy with the truck)... was hoping it had satellite tho as stated I believed all 2008 had it factory. The reason for the quick sale was that I rolled my 2006 Dodge Ram 6 times, and decided although it did save my life, I wanted the creature comforts of the GM!

You don;t have satellite radio. Even without an active subscription you will still be able to get the radio id channel (0) and the xm emergencry broadcast channel. (the stock headunit will go from am/fm/xm by hitting the band key) Sattilite radio comes with onstar, so no onstar no xm. Also check your roof for the dolphin shaped antenna if you don't have that then no satellite radio.

Jr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by randomsandwhich View Post
    You don;t have satellite radio. Even without an active subscription you will still be able to get the radio id channel (0) and the xm emergencry broadcast channel. (the stock headunit will go from am/fm/xm by hitting the band key) Sattilite radio comes with onstar, so no onstar no xm. Also check your roof for the dolphin shaped antenna if you don't have that then no satellite radio.
    Funny thing is that I have onstar... Will contact the dealer I bought it from! Thanks for all the help guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Dubsport View Post
    Funny thing is that I have onstar... Will contact the dealer I bought it from! Thanks for all the help guys!
    OnStar and Xm Satellite are 2 Different Services-es.....You can have OnStar Without having XM Satellite....and/or You can have XM Satellite Without OnStar.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Mine is an 08 and after my one year of free XM I did not renew as it is not my daily driver. A couple weeks ago for the hell of it I tuned it to one of the XM channels and I still have XM. Not sure if I have all of the channels or not, but I have a lot of them!

Bobby - North Carolina
    2008 4x4 5.3L V8
    6" Suspension Lift and 1.5" Body Lift
    20x9 Ballistic Jesters w/35" Toyo Open Country MT's & 1.5" rear wheel spacers
    4:56 Yukon Gears
    Hypertech Speedometer Calibrator
    Baja style bed mount spare tire carrier
    Flowmaster 40 series dual exhaust
    Recon Smoked LED tails/3rd brake lights/black projectors w/switchback LED's in the corners
    N-Fab Nerf Steps
    K&N CAI
    No Fear Pedals
    Tint, Line-X bedliner, Window visors, Rear wheel well liners
    Painted front grill, bow ties and door badges, de-"lettered" tailgate
    Powder coated front and rear bumpers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast