GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: miscellaneous

Default miscellaneous

I should re-introduce myself. I'm living in Saudi Arabia and bought a 95 (maybe a 94) Suburban in October. I wrote to inquire about fixing my heater. Well it turns out that, like many other things that need fixing here, most people that get heater problems don't fix them, they just do without and, in the case of their car's heater, bare through the few cold days there are in a year. So the leaking heater box in the cab was bypassed and I got a new one installed. I don't know what they did exactly (my mechanic days are probably lost for good) but it wasn't too expensive and now my wife enjoys a warm cab - and that's what counts, right fellows? Now I anticipated having some problems when I bought a used vehicle here. I still haven't figured out how my fellow expats can go out and get a brand new vehicle for 120k SR and think they will be able to sell it in a couple years and not come out at a big loss. The second problem was overheating, and it came on strong. Even I know a few things that can cause that so I changed the hoses I thought were leaking, and the thermostat, and replaced the water pump as recommended by one mechanic. (That costed 250 SR P&L which is about $65) , and it seemed to be ok for a few days. Then on my way to work I looked down at the temp gauge and thought, "something doesn't look right" and sure enough the needle was ALL the way over to the wrong side. What was strange was that I had not smelled a thing. I know my smeller works 'cause I can usually guess what spices my wife puts in her awesome dinners. Well, come to discover that changing a water pump, thermostat and hoses without specifically requesting a radiator check just about guarantees it won't get checked. Long story shortened, I found another mechanic, and of the thousands of shops here, found a really professionally run shop owned by a Christian (the first guy was, too) but this one I came across somewhat by chance and was really impressed that the employees seemed to enjoy working there amidst an area filled with generally unhappy-looking people. Well I'm getting side-tracked. You should have seen the sludge pouring out of the radiator when they pulled it and flushed it out - actually, their neighbor shop is a one-man radiator pro that did that part, and this shop fixed my heater. So the truck has been running nicely but it does sound a bit rough and I just wonder what damage might have been caused by it running so hot even for a short time - I really wonder why it didn't totally explode altogether.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Welcome back to the GMTC Gary. I hope the radiator flush finally fixed your cooling problems. It wouldn't hurt to put a drain pan under it & drain a couple gallons out & see what it looks like after a couple weeks. If they only flushed the radiator & didn't flush the entire engine, then there may have been some crud left in the block that has circulated & you can get a head against any future overheating problems by flushing it again.
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

Legend

Blog Entries

Welcome (back)!!!

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

You may want to flush the rad again in a couple of weeks to see if there was any sludge coming from the engine,especially if there was as much as you say there was when they flushed the radiator.
    [/SIGPIC]2009 Chevy Silverado LT 1500 EXT CAB 4X4 Vortec 4.8L SFI,K&N air filter,Weathertech Floor Liners ,Weathertech Stone/Bug Deflector, Line X Spray On Bedliner, TruXport Rollup Tonneau Cover, Molded Mudguards, Viper 5701 LE 2 way Security Alarm/Remote Starter, Xm Satelite Radio,BILSTEIN 5100 rear shocks,BILSTEIN 5100 front levelling shocks,READYLIFT 2" rear lift blocks,Goodyear Wrangler Territorys -265/70R 17"