GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Not Getting Accurate Reading on Engine Oil Dipstick-2005 Silverado Z71

Ok so my "check oil level" message came on so i went to check the oil level when the engine was warm and the dipstick was right at the full mark, i wiped the dipstick and checked it again and again it was at the full mark. I then let the engine cool and after i wiped the dipstick and pulled it back out the dipstick was completely clean, it had no oil on it. So now im not even sure how much oil i have. The truck is completely level when checking the oil.

When i got my oil change i used 5w-30 royal purple, my silverado has around 87K miles, and close to 3K on the royal purple, and put the k&n oil filter in it.

So if anyone has any tips on getting accurate reading of engine oil it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

If it read full when the engine was warm then you are fine. No signs of leaks any where right? Sometimes when a engine is cold the oil reading will be low as the oil gets thicker and then thins out as its warms. Never had one read that different though. The engine was off and warm when checking the oil right?

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71
    Stock 5.3L
    High Flow Filter
    Dual Exhaust
    KC Driving Lights behind Grille
    2011 17" GMC takeoffs
    Nerf Bars
    Toolbox

Sr. Engineer

Conflicting information to be sure. I would at least add a quart to see if it registered on dip stick. I also have struggled to get accurate readings from a recently shut down engine, maybe due to oil splashed up and in the dip tube and get on the stick and be difficult to know what was what. I have found that by sanding the bottom portion of the stick it brightens it up and helps with the contrast and is easier to read. Also check that the oil is on all sides to indicate it was submerged in the oil and not just residual oil from the tube. Good luck and let us know what you find, I would like to think the low oil warning has not changed to a NO oil warning.
    2000 GMC YUKON SLT, 5.3L tow pkg, G80 rear/w 3.73 gear

Ok im not going to be a smart a$$ but you should check it when its cold that gives you the best reading when the truck is worm or has gust been shut off you wont get a true reading so if there was little to no oil when it was cold you have a problem it might be time to add some or get the oil changed.

Calvin-Okanagan Falls
    2010 Chevy silverado LT Z71 5.3L
    2004 Chevy Silverado GFX 6.0L (Gave to Parents)
    2003 Chevy Trailblazer LTZ 4.2L (SOLD TO BEST FREIND)

No oil leaks and yes the engine was off. Its weird because when i wipe off the dipstick, put it back in, then pull it out the dipstick has no oil on it. Lol

The truck still reads the check oil level when i turn it on. I'm going to try adding half a quart or less and see if that helps any.

Also how many miles would y'all recommend I run on this royal purple? I'm getting close to 3000 already.

i have a friend who has dodge 1500.( i know were talking chevy not dodge) but his dealer uses full synthetic. and he only has to have it changed ever 15k or a year wich ever come first. i use full synthetic and personally i wouldnt go over 5k. you could alway just check the oil and see how dirty it is. if its black change it. if its still looks like honey leave it.
    2005 silverado 1500 z-71.
    fabtech 6" lift.
    air raid filter
    throttle body spacer
    4.56 gears.
    rancho rs5000 shocks.
    tow mirrors.
    american racing rims.
    firestone destination a/t 325/65/18.
    due to inflation your 2 cents no longer matters.