GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Relase in rear end when stopping

I have an 08 Silverado Crew Cab with the rear drums and every once in a while when I come to a complete stop the rear brakes seem to "release" just a little bit, you can hear it and feel it. Its nothing major but sometimes a nusiance, and people ask what it is. I'm not sure if there is a fix for it or if anyone has this problem too?

My cousin seemed to think it was the rear diff but I dont think thats it...any help is greatly appreciated!!

So I took my truck in to the dealer, they said it sounds like the slip yoke and I guess it's pretty common. If anyone else is noticing this too it could be the same thing. Luckily it's covered under the factory warranty. They said it jams up sometimes and causes it to jump just a little when it releases under the tension

Thanks for the heads up. I just bought a 2009 silverado crew cab and I was noticing that every once in a while the rear end would feel like it was jumping forward a bit just as you described. It hasn't happened in the past few days so i was holding off on taking it in until it happened again. Looks like I too will be stopping by the dealership to talk to someone about it.

Did the service tech say how long and how difficult it is to fix?

They said it should only take about a day to fix but as I was looking around under my truck I decided to look at the drum brakes to see if anything was out of the ordinary and causing the noises I heard. I came to find out the axle bearing was clicking so I want them to look at that as well and it's gonna take a little longer but should be done by tomorrow afternoon
    Last edited by WonderinWhat; 01-06-2011 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Spelling

I think my truck is doing something similiar, but I want to make sure our terminology is matching up. When I come to a stop it feels like the truck stops...then the rest of the truck stops. Almost like it settles in a rough fashion. Is this what you are describing? If so, did they say that replacing the slip-yoke would fix the problem?
    2002 Chevrolet Corvette
    1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4x4

Yea, I had that same problem you are explaining. I guess there was a change to the grease used to lube the slip yoke, ever since I got my truck back I haven't had the problem at all.