GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Is an extended drive shaft needed for a 4" lift kit? 2007 Silverado

This crossed my mind and before I buy the kit I want to make sure I have everything I need to install it.. So with that being said, going from stock to 4" lifted is an extended drive shaft a wise idea?

No its not needed. they will try to sell you a dual cardan front driveshaft for the lifts but not necessary. they say that if you dont you can get vibration at highway speed in 4wd. I notice it a little but its not bad and dont do a whole lot of high speed driving in 4wd. the rear is fine. some will come with a spacer to lower the bushing in the center of the rear drive shaft to improve the angle so that you dont get the small vibration at takeoff. that one is nice to have but an actual extended drive shaft is not needed. oh yeah what year and everything is your truck.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

It's not necessary at all. The only time a dual cardan shaft is needed is if you're AWD.

Legend

Blog Entries

x3....you do not need. I installed a 4" last year and it's been working great. No vibration.

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Sorry it took so long to get back guys! I have a 2007 silverado new body style 2wd crew cab regular bed. Thank you for letting me know! I thought about just getting the spacers its much cheaper haha but thank you again guys you saved me some money thats for sure!!!!! :D

Sr. Mechanic
    Blog Entries

If you leave your truck in AUTO 4x4 the vibration is pretty bad. I have the Rancho 4" kit and never leave my truck in auto 4x4 because when I hit the gas anywhere above 45 MPH it gets annoying.

07 Silverado 1500 5.3L extended cab
    4" Rancho Suspension lift with Adjustable Shocks
    2" Leveling kit
    1.5" Zone Offroad body lift
    35x12.50 R 18 Nitto Trail Grapplers
    Ranch Hand Grille Guard
    Ranch Hand Rear Bumper
    Tow mirrors
    Color matched grey/silver Bushwacker fender flares
    Dual exhaust from cats back with X pipe coming out 5" tips
    Black Tool box
    Edge CTS Programmer
    Proliner Spray in bedliner
    20% tint all the way around

Quote Originally Posted by alabamaxrebel View Post
    If you leave your truck in AUTO 4x4 the vibration is pretty bad. I have the Rancho 4" kit and never leave my truck in auto 4x4 because when I hit the gas anywhere above 45 MPH it gets annoying.
    This is true. Leave that joker in 2wd mode regardless of what suspension you go with.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackout07 View Post
    This is true. Leave that joker in 2wd mode regardless of what suspension you go with.
    Fact of life right there.

2006 Duramax LBZ
    Edge Evo
    4'' Diamond eye to 6'' tip
    16'' ion alloy, 33'' fierce attitudes
    Lots of work left to do!

he has a 2wd anyways so he doesnt need to worry about it. he was wondering about the rear. the 2wd part wasnt in the original post. but on the auto 4wd thing just leave it in 2wd mode.

Just my 02, but if your using blocks for the 4" lift then you could encounter axle wrap under heavy braking and acceleration which will cause the axle to rotate on it's axis and possibly pull the drive shaft right out of the slip yoke. Had this happen several times on an old Dodge I had years ago. Fixed it by re-arching the springs for lift and using a longer tailshaft.
    Adam

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by