GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last Post byLast Post by

Question Good Silverado HID Conversion Kits?

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good plug-and-play HID kit that is relatively cheap. I want to install 8000k high and low beams on my '08 Silverado. Any input is appreciated.
    Last edited by ChevyFan; 11-28-2011 at 07:37 PM.
    1996 GMC Sierra 1500 2WD
    -2 Flowmaster 40 Delta Series out the corners

2008 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 4WD
    -Flowmaster Super 44 dual straight out the back
    -Bully Dog Triple GT Gas tuner
    -K&N air filter

Well i would not recommend the 8000K as it is to blus and not as bright as the 6000K. the two bulb system works great if toy have a relay that leaves your low's when you kick the high's on. if you dont have that relay you will be left in the dark while the high warms up. i have made that mistake before with my hid's. also i would spend a little more money on a 55w kit over a 35w kit. lot brighter!!. I have 35w in my silverado and wish i had gone with the 55w. so here is what i recommend... a 55w 6000k high and low hid kit with slim ballast with a relay that leaves the low on when on high. hope this helps... here is a pic of mine with the hid headlights and reverse lights.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00043-20101228-2116.jpg 
Views:	4970 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	23913

Thanks for the info. I was just going to settle for the 35W, but after what you just told me, I think i'll get the 55W kits. I was looking at the kits on http://www.vvme.com/page.html?chapter=1&id=33, and I'm just not sure how highly these are recommended.

I bought the vvme's and love them. Rotaryenginepete has a post on installing and recommended that site. I bought them in Dec when they were on sale. I'd try to get them on sale if you can. I bought the low with harness and high beams and it cost me $128 with shipping.

Alright, good deal. It's weird, on VVME, they have a kit for my low beams with the relay harness for ~$58 and the standard kit for $40+$14 to add a relay harness to it. So, I'm thinking about just getting two standard kits, 9005 for the high beam and H8/H11 for the low, and adding the relay harness separately. That alone will save me ~$5 and bring the cost to ~$122 with shipping. I had thought about getting the slim ballast kits, but having to mount external igniters didn't seem that appealing.

I actually didn't use the harness. I disconnected my DRLs because the harness wouldn't reach the ballast. I had to install the ballast on the pass. side under the airbox because I have the Volant CAI. You could go without it. I would've considered the slim ballasts if I'd known how little space there is to mount the ballasts.

Yeah, the passenger side is jam packed. There is a spot just behind the headlight itself by the radiator where the ballasts would fit, but I have a feeling it'll be too hot to install right there.

BTW - I put in the 4300k 55W and they are really bright. I expected them to be brighter than stock, but was really surprised.

I'm probably going to get the 6000k or 8000k simply because I want to have a little blue tint to it. It there that much of a difference b/t the 35W and 55W in output?

Dunno, but Patman stated above he's had both. I do notice that my lights are much brighter than some of the other HID lights I've seen.

Check out my album HIDs.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last Post byLast Post by