GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: window tint ?

You were able to order front driver and passenger windows tinted from the factory? If you were (and I'm not busting beans) then I truly have never seen that. I have seen rear side and back windows factory tinted but never the front two (like the majority of todays SUV's). Maybe it's not legal for purchase in MA... Essentially my point was that if you tint windows (in any manner) below what is legally acceptable for where you live then whether or not the tint is removable isn't going to matter in whether or not they issue you a citation.

Hopefully that clears it up a little.
    Last edited by Jay; 01-08-2011 at 12:23 AM.
    Jay

2003 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab Z71
    2" Rough Country Leveling Kit and Stabilizer
    285/65R18 BFG TA KO on Black Rhino Rockwell
    Magnaflow Cat Back
    K&N 57 Series Intake
    Diablosport Predator
    Nerf Bars, Tint, Soft Tonneau

Legend
    Blog Entries

No, I didn't order them. I bought the truck used & the windows were tinted already when I bought it. It's not the vinyl, or the spray on tint. It's actually tint in the glass. The windshield, side windows & rear all have the same little d.o.t. label in the glass & all the labels match each other, so I figure they're all factory, or they all could have been replaced at the same time (not too likely) This is what makes me think they're factory tint.

I agree with what you're saying about him using illegally tinted windows for his jurisdiction & what you're saying there, I just don't get the part about not being able to replace any of my GM windows with the same GM windows.
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

GM does make factory tinted windows. I bought an 11 Chevy Silverado on the 31st and it has factory tinted windows. They are not especially dark, I am unsure on the percentage, but the tint is in the safety glass not on the inside surface of the window. To reiterate, as safety glass has a plastic film inside the glass to keep the auto glass from shattering into large pointy shards they can make front and rear windows with tint inside the window. This could be allowed under Canadian law depending on how the law is worded, and how the law is actually enforced on the ground regardless of the law. I am unsure about how to reorder the windows with tint inside, but my brand new truck has them, and they were not dipped, sprayed, or applied with vinyl. There is a definite texture difference on the inside of an aftermarket tinted window, and I do not have any noticible texture difference from my front windshield, which is not tinted.

2005 Chevrolet Silverado, 5.3L V8, KC lights, grille guard, winch , wheel to wheel nerf bars, diamond plate bed rail caps, headache rack, bed toolbox, pioneer navigation, 1800w Kenwood amp, Alpine 12"sub, down fire box, BFG T/A KO load E tires, trailer hitch, remote start... one of everything.
    2011 Chevrolet Silverado, 5.3L V8, UMS wheel to wheel step rails, diamond plate bed rail caps, trailer hitch, Ipod integrator, XM radio, on its way to one of everything.
    MECP Silver Certified Installer

Legend
    Blog Entries

Thanks Christopher, I was beginning to think I was going blind,, or stupid or smth lol

In the mid 90's there was a company in Tennesee (Memphis Custom Glass) that sold factory replacement windows with a darker tint laminated between the two sheets of glass, they even carried a DOT label on the window, you could order your windows with whatever tint you desired as to color or shade and they carried all the popular shades that GM, Ford, and Chrysler were using at the time.
    In 97 the company was fined by DOT because they were skirting the law, ya gotta look through the DOT regs but theres a stipulation on the amount of shade allowable for "any window to the left, right, and forward of the drivers shoulder" this includes laminated tint, spray tint and vinyl tint.
    In 95 I bought a set of replacement door windows for 91 Firebird GTA, including windshield with a 4" top strip, the state I lived in at the time, Ga. didnt worry about tint laws (though they had them on the books).
    In 99 I was notified of a class action suit against the company for the replacement glass, I dont know how it was ever settled because I moved overseas and forgot about the issue.
    So yea there are replacement windows out there with tint laminated in them, but they arent legal even though they have the DOT label.
    I could only guess that Canada's regulation reads similiar to most states in the U.S., and further reading of the regulations will reveal that the way the law is written lamintated between the glass or otherwise the amount of tint is regulated and illegal if it's to dark.

You learn something everyday...I didn't even realize there were companies that made replacement windows with the DOT label that were already tinted... it literally never crossed my mind... almost every car I have owned had tinted windows and no other option other than window film ever dawned on me... Whats the price difference for these replacement windows compared to getting a professional to put the film on?

Legend
    Blog Entries

LOL, thankfully I can't answer that Jay cuz I've never broken or & had to replace one.

If I remember correctly I payed around $85 for each side window and $140 for the windshield, later I bought a tinted rear window for the car from the same company for $105.
    I did a search and couldnt find the company but if you look around theres other companies that make glass and DOT approved plastic windshields and side windows for most makes and models.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12