GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Tachometer and other gauges not accurate

So I have a few bulbs burned out on my cluster and thought that I could replace them myself. I soon found out that the bulbs are soldered in and decided that I can live with it for now. However, I took the needles off to get to the bulbs, and thought I got the needles back to their original positions. The tach is now way off (highway speeds it sits a 0 RPM), the voltage looks to be registering too high, and the speedo seems to be accurate, but when the truck is not moving, it seems to rest at about 4 mph, and I don't remember it doing that before. Any suggestions on how I can "calibrate" my gauges without taking it to the dealership and getting violated? Not really a big deal, but mor annoying because everything was working perfectly and then I had to "fix" it and did the exact opposite!!
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax

Legend
    Blog Entries

I can't tell you how to fix your guages but I remember seeing a thread on here about "how to guages" & it told the proper steps to do, or not do for guage work. It may go through steps that you can do or undo in order to realign your guages.
    Last edited by stephan; 01-08-2011 at 03:56 AM.
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

I believe this is the thread you're referring to, stephan: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...=gauge+cluster

good luck, hope this helps
    04 ECSB Custom silver & grey, Soft 8's, BFG KO's, ReadyLift Leveling Kit, Hellwig front sway bar, K&N filter, DeeZee EZ-Down, Rhino liner, Alpine CDE103BT, Rockford 6.5's, 12" V.A.T. Hammer Pro in a Subthump box, Alpine PowerPack amp, Hifonics amp, BackRack w/ 55w 5000k HID KC Daylighters, KC light bar with 4 KC Slimlites, UWS toolbox, Shaved Antenna mod, Black Bowtie, LED backup, license plate, dome lights & 3rd brake light

Legend
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TELORVEHC View Post
    I believe this is the thread you're referring to, stephan: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...=gauge+cluster
    good luck, hope this helps
    That's the one TELORVEHC. It has the procedure for turning the needles till they stop, popping the needles & then the proced for puting them back on. I think if the op starts where he's at now & follows the disassembly & reassembly his should be right. Thanks for finding that.

And a big thumbs up to 99Heartbeat (Mike) for making that write up on how to fix them..
    Last edited by stephan; 01-09-2011 at 01:51 AM.