GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Vibrations at 60 mph

Today I was driving my 2010 Chevy Silverado and the whole truck started to vibrat. At around 60 miles per hour the wheel was really bad then I slowed down pulled off the side of the road to see if I had a flat tire they were all fine then I started driving again it keep on doing it at around 50 mph. Could it be the sway bar from when I put on my leveling kit ? Also were I live in CT we got about 8inchs of snow last night that I was driving in. I'm not sure what to do
    *2010 Chevrolet 1500 LT
    *extended cab Long bed
    *Line-X bed liner
    *Rough Country 2 inch leveling kit
    *k&N Cai 63
    *Bullydog gt
    *custom A-pillar
    *17 Hoss XD
    *BF Goodrich Mud terrain KM2 285/70/17

Just a shot in the dark, but could you have lost a wheel weight? Was the front stabilizer bar removed/messed with when the RC level kit was installed?

________2013 4C Rated__________

Quote Originally Posted by ajarman View Post
    Just a shot in the dark, but could you have lost a wheel weight? Was the front stabilizer bar removed/messed with when the RC level kit was installed?
    I check the if the wheel weights are still on and the same on both wheels . Yes I did have loosen the stabilizer. Do you think it could be tire alignment?
    *2010 Chevrolet 1500 LT
    *extended cab Long bed
    *Line-X bed liner
    *k&N Cai 63
    *Bullydog gt
    *custom A-pillar
    *17 Hoss XD

Did you get an alignment after the kit was put on? Did you by any chance put aftermarket wheels on? I would definately double check that everything is buttoned up tight.

There is probably ice/snow built up inside the wheel throwing the balance off. Been there, done that!

Legend
    Blog Entries

If you were driving 60 mph in 8" inches of snow the first thing I would do is slow down ha ha ha.
    I would go back again & check the wheel weights like Alston said. You said they look the same on both sides. This should not be. All tires & wheels are different irregularities & weights & require different amounts of balancing weights & they should not be weighted exactly the same. Look closely for "marks" where a wheel weight used to be. If your truck didn't do this before, it is most likely a weight has come off. Look inside as well as outside.
    As far as the sway bar: this should have nothing to do with it. It wouldn't matter if it was hanging half off & dragging on the ground. A sway bar (anti-sway bar, anti-roll bar) only reduces the body lift going around corners, or when swerving sharply at speed & nothing else.
    One other thing, did you have your truck aligned after the lift was installed? A lift or leveling kit changes the toe in/toe out. Too much toe out can cause vibration. Is this the first time you drove it at this speed since the leveling kit was installed?

You might also want to look/check for a bad belt, or seperation in one of your tires when you are looking at the wheel weights. A seperated belt can cause this. Run your hand all around the tires & feel for irregularitys or lumps. Sometimes these are not easy to see but you can generally feel them
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

Quote Originally Posted by Blackout07 View Post
    Did you get an alignment after the kit was put on? Did you by any chance put aftermarket wheels on? I would definately double check that everything is buttoned up tight.
    No I did not get the truck alined after the I put on the leveling kit, No I still have stock wheels and tires. On monday I plan onputting my truck on the lift at my school and retightening everything.

---------- Post added at 02:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Looey View Post
    There is probably ice/snow built up inside the wheel throwing the balance off. Been there, done that!
    Lets hope this is all it is.

---------- Post added at 02:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Runnerboy23 View Post
    No I did not get the truck alined after the I put on the leveling kit, No I still have stock wheels and tires. On monday I plan onputting my truck on the lift at my school and retightening everything.

---------- Post added at 02:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 PM ----------

Lets hope this is all it is.

"One other thing, did you have your truck aligned after the lift was installed? A lift or leveling kit changes the toe in/toe out. Too much toe out can cause vibration. Is this the first time you drove it at this speed since the leveling kit was installed?"

No I did not have the truck aligned after I put the leveling kit on But it was fine for 2,000 miles. I have driving over 60 since I put the kit on with no problems.
    *2010 Chevrolet 1500 LT
    *extended cab Long bed
    *Line-X bed liner
    *k&N Cai 63
    *Bullydog gt
    *custom A-pillar
    *17 Hoss XD

Legend
    Blog Entries

Ok if it drove fine for 2,000 miles after the lift, then I'm going with wheel weight or tire separation. It will be great to inspect your tires while it's on the lift. Be sure & spin the tires & look for radial & lateral runout. This will help you spot belt or tread seperation. Look for lumps, bumps, or the tread or grooves wiggleing back & forth while you spin them.
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

The tires are probably going bad because your alignment is out of whack. Get your truck aligned!