GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Switched power source in '09 Silverado

I'd like to find a switched source I can tap into for a couple accessories. I don't want them to be on a constant hot. I've done a search and couldn't come up with anything that would help me. I'd like to tap a wire and not off the top of a fuse. That way I can keep the fuse block cleaner and hide it better.Any help would be much appreciated.

Legend

Just run a second line off the battery and put a switch on it under the dash that you can reach while sitting in the drivers seat? What are you looking to be able to switch on and off at will?
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

I will try to look under my hood to see what fuse I am using and let you know.
    2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Ex. Cab, Fire Red, 6.6L Duramax LMM Equipped with UTG Rocker Pods

AMSOIL is the only oil company that...,"Recommends 25,000 mile oil changes","Gives up to four times better wear protection","Warranties your engine against oil related failure"

Preferred Customers Save up to 30% Click here!!!
    Executive Direct Jobber ZO# 1695636
    Scott Douglass 248-721-1002
    Order online:
    www.1st-synthetics.com

Legend
    Blog Entries

I would agree with the second line off the battery myself, as soon as you get some kind of electrical malfunction and the dealer sees that you "tapped" the wiring you may as well kiss your warranty goodbye! My truck is still under warranty and I ran the second line off the battery for 6 off-road lights and it works like a charm, and when I let it sit during the winter I have a quick disconnect mounted on the top terminal to keep from getting parasitic draw off the switches in the cab which can drain the battery even if there not on. It's up to you, but just keep in mind freak things do happen.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

I want to run the power for my gps and my radar detector only when the ignition is on. I'll investigate the fuse box under the hood a little. The one inside didn't have anything listed as ign.
    Drive it like ya stole it!!!

Jr. Engineer

you should go to www.12volt.com and lookup the ignition wiring for your truck and install a relay to switch on when the truck is in the run position. Run a new fused line from the fuse box under the hood, there is more than enough room, and if you do it right it will look stock.

HtH

1993 K1500 Suburban 350TBI, 378,486KMS on frame, 49,000KMS on Drivetrain. Lots of mods, built for haulin trailers and haulin @$$ :)

2000 K2500 Yukon XL 6.0L Vortec 252000KMS custom CAI, and exhaust...but not done yet.

"If you are dumb enough to do something you don't know how to do, and can't do it safely then WHEN you get hurt its your own fault...BONEHEAD"

Default Switcher

I hooked up an amp and sub for my '07 NBS and I had the same problem with the ignition wire, so I just put a switcher in the line and switch it off and on. It's a pain, but I didn't have time to figure it out.
    **Aloha**

hey there. i think i can can help with your situation. by the way, i am an installer and a private shop and i have been in the business for a while now. this is what you can do:
    to the left of your steering colum, you will find the BCM. its just a few big plugs. your accessory wire is going to be in a light green 21 pin plug. and, its going to be either the brown or yellow wire (you can use either one) this will give you a switched 12v wire with no switches!! good luck!!

Cody- Tulsa, OK
    '04 silverado

It was the pink wire on my '09 Hybrid in the same light green plug box.

Default Switched Power

I have an MECP Silver certification and have worked in numerous shops. We ALWAYS tap into the ignition wire under the dash. It is the safest location to mitigate any issues with arcing or shorting of circuits. That being said, you should always fuse the wire you tie into, and secondly the power wire for the accessory should always be soldered and taped. The wire on the 09-11 Silverado, without the LTZ package, is a pink wire on the light green plug attached to the BCM. I would always recommend this wiring be done by a professional installer, as the previous poster mentioned, because if you do not take all precautions you could arc an electrical circuit under the dash and fry any number of components attached to the BCM.