GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: My brakes SUCK!

Default My brakes SUCK!

New thread started...

Anyway, I just can't get over the fact that the pedal is mushy. If I'm stopped, I can push the pedal down to the stops without a lot of effort. What would it feel like if my brake booster was going out? Besides the lines, that's the only thing I haven't replaced...
    -Carl
    '02 Chevy Suburban, tow rig, 2wd, LT w/Autoride

Jr. Apprentice

Have you had the brake lines loosened or off? You may have air in the brake system. Or...depending on the mileage, at some point you may have boiled the brake fluid. When was the last time you flushed the brake fluid and replaced it with new, fresh fluid?
    Last edited by TrailLeadr; 10-20-2011 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Removed advertising

Legend
    Blog Entries

Carl, if your brake booster was causing this you would have to use increased pedal pressure to stop your rig. Your booster helps you apply the pressure. If your brakes are mushy, this is a whole different issue. If you've never bled them, or if you have a leak now, or have ever had hydrolic parts replaced & the brakes weren't properly bled, then this is the problem like Frozen rotors posted above. You probably need your brake system bled with the GM Tech2 bleeder. This is the only way to get all the air out of the lines & firm up the pedal.
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

Could you please post the procedure for testing the booster? I've read a few other places that when the booster goes bad it causes a leak, increasing the distance needed to stop the vehicle. Typically, when the booster goes it IS more difficult, but I guess there is something in this design that causes the leak to go before the booster, and to fix the leak you have to replace the booster.

I'm sure there COULD be air in my lines. But, I've used the procedure to bleed them that I've done on every other vehicle, and I have never ended up with air in the lines after that before. I would say that it would be very unlikely that there is enough air in my lines to cause the problems that I'm facing. Sure, it seems like it's the issue from the way the pedal feels, but all the brakes are working equally, the fronts just a bit more than the rears. You can see that by checking the rotors after a few hard stops. It's simply like I'm not getting enough pressure into the braking system. And if there really is an air leak around the booster, that would be exactly what is going wrong.

Legend
    Blog Entries

But, I've used the procedure to bleed them that I've done on every other vehicle, and I have never ended up with air in the lines after that before. I would say that it would be very unlikely that there is enough air in my lines to cause the problems that I'm facing.

Carl, your truck has ABS, yes?

Yes, it does.

Legend
    Blog Entries

The problem with ABS systems is that you can't sucessfully bleed them the same way as all the other normal systems that came before them. When air gets into the ABS system the only way you can get it out is with the GM Tech 2 bleeder. Normal bleeding procedures like we've used for years just won't work.

I had a friend of mine drive my truck today. He worked in a shop for a while, so even though we are comparable as far as our mechanic skills go, he has seen a lot more of my style vehicle in their worst, and best after repair. He said that my pedal is normal, and it's just part of how GM designs the pedal. I still think it's crap, but if he says that they are like that, even if maybe something was leaking a bit, it's obviously not much. I think I'm going to look at some braided line kits. They helped substantially on my autocross car, so I'm thinking they may be the ticket to get a little better brake pedal on the burban.

FWIW, he also said that the ABS is controlled by the computer, and automatically bleeds as the vehicle is driven... Not sure if anyone here can validate that or not...

Legend
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    I had a friend of mine drive my truck today. He worked in a shop for a while, so even though we are comparable as far as our mechanic skills go, he has seen a lot more of my style vehicle in their worst, and best after repair. He said that my pedal is normal, and it's just part of how GM designs the pedal.
    FWIW, he also said that the ABS is controlled by the computer, and automatically bleeds as the vehicle is driven... Not sure if anyone here can validate that or not...
    So are you sayin that your brakes don't suck anymore, it's just the pedal design?

NO, the computer & the ABS does NOT bleed the brakes as it is driven. Your friend is confused. The ABS modulates the brakes to keep them from locking up, but it does not bleed them while driving, or applying them.