GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Engineer

Default Greasing the chassis

Ok, for a while I just took my truck to have the oil changed at a shop due to it being cheaper. For over a year now I've been doing it myself, but since I haven't had a grease gun I would just wait till it was in the shop for something I couldn't handle fixing on my own and ask them to grease it for me.

So I bought a grease gun and some grease and I know there are 11 fittings in total on my truck. I'm wondering how much grease is enough? I had a mechanic complain to me in the summer that whoever greased it last time put way too much grease in, made a huge mess "and now you're contaminating" were his exact words. He was bitching at me as if I was the one who did this to his truck. He said 2-3 pumps and you're fine just do it every oil change.

So now, each grease gun will pump out different amounts per 10 strokes etc. so is it a safe rule to just pump it 3 times on each fitting? Also I just bought some automotive chassis grease that says it meets or exeeds OEM specs. To me grease seems like a product that you really can't go wrong with (i.e. "Grease is grease, just buy some and use it, don't worry about brand") am I correct here?

I feel very strange asking about this as it's very basic maintenance and I've done some more advanced stuff, yet have never done this!

Thanks guys
    SEAFOAM, I PUT THAT @#!$ IN EVERYTHING!

2004 Silverado LS 5.3L Z71 Crew Cab
    260,000+ km

Florence, AZ...AKA just this side of hell!

Should be fine with #2 grease...it's general purpose; and from what I've learned, 2 pumps from a regular-sized grease gun is the standard amount.

================================================== =======
    2009 GMC Sierra 1500 WT with ... DU-HA underseat storage ; BAKFLIP G2 bed cover ;
    Rostra Cruise Control

Legend
    Blog Entries

I run with 2-3 pumps. Occasionally i have run a little low and put a bit more in. And the U-joints if yours are greasable i would put in enough so that you see a bit coming out. But tie rods/ball joints etc. 2-3 is enough.
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

This is a little off-topic, but still somewhat applicable. For NEW ball joints and u-joints, how many pumps should you put in? From what I've learned in the past, pumping grease into ball joints until you can see it is way too much, but I've also learned that new ball joints come virtually dry from the factory.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Legend
    Blog Entries

Ben, grease grades are numbered from 1 to 5 ? I think. As far as how many pumps, follow Murdogs advice on the U-joints, & for ball joints pump it & watch the rubber boots. When you see the boots expanding this is grease that has gone into & through the joint so it is enough pumps. I think what your mech was complaining about is the previous mech had continued pumping till it actually pumped grease out of the boots & all over the chassis & the grease will collect dirt, grime, sand etc thus contaminating the chassis by "holding" all this crud to it.
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

Jr. Engineer

Ah ok thanks for tips! And yes, it was coming out of the boots and was everywhere, I saw it before it was in the shop and thought it was odd, but didn't think it was a big deal. Good to know! Time to get greasing!

Legend
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
    This is a little off-topic, but still somewhat applicable. For NEW ball joints and u-joints, how many pumps should you put in? From what I've learned in the past, pumping grease into ball joints until you can see it is way too much, but I've also learned that new ball joints come virtually dry from the factory.
    I ususally fill them till the boots are semi tight.

Sr. Apprentice

I used to rely on others to lube my chassis until I discovered this :

There is a grease fitting hiding in there that probably hasnít been touched for years!
    1992 GMC C1500 SLE

Legend
    Blog Entries

Yep, that's the sign of lazy mechanics or Quick Lube places that don't realize that the upper ball joints have zerk fittings on them lol