GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Additech engine additives at Walmart pumps

The Walmart pumps around here (I can't remember the name of the company that does their gas) all have the ability to put Additech engine additives directly into your tank, mixed while you pump your gas.

I guess maybe I'm skeptical. How do I really know how much of this stuff they put it, or if it's put in at all? I can't see it, so that worries me. I'd rather pay more $$ for something I can see I guess.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

What did I tell you about Walmart....Stay away! It only leads to the wife impulse shopping.

Jamie

2007 Ford E250(Work van) (Ya, Ya, shut up!)
    1996 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 5.7L/4L60E

I checked out their web site and I guess it would depend on what they charge. I wouldn't so much worry about it being added or not when you pay for it. That would be a crime BIG time and I am sure that the company has people show up secretly and test to make sure it is being done( like gas companies routinely test stations to ensure the additives are in the gas that are supposed to be there ). My concern would be more is the stuff really any good?

http://www.additech.com/

I only use one brand of fuel system cleaner( besides SeaFoam treatments 2-3 times a year )and that is Techron Plus(TP) by Chevron. Best stuff out there. Sold by GM parts under their own label as well. It is the only fuel system treatment I have ever used in which the vehicle actually performs better with it in the tank than without. Usually performance and MPG drop while the cleaner is in there. With the TP it actually makes the vehicle run better while cleaning and gives you a slight MPG boost. May in part be caused by the fact that GM uses Chevron gas on ther testing grounds and the stuff in the TP bottle is the same stuff you get in Chevron gas( just concentrated ).

Also, it contains elements that help to clean and protect your fuel sending unit. A BIG issue for GM vehicles. The sulfur in the gas eats away at the silver used on the sending unit causing failure and the gauge to act erratic. This stuff if used regularly( from new )will help to protect against that problem besides cleaning and protecting the entire fuel system. In some cases with mild failure it can clean the sending unit and restore it to proper working condition.

GREAT stuff! Only runs $10 +/- for the big bottle that treats up to 20 gallons( Autozone sells it the cheapest locally ). Just pay attention to which one you get. Wal-Mart sells the smaller sized bottle that only treats like 8-12 gallons. I have never seen the big bottle at Wal-Mart. Once p/month is all it takes.

http://www.chevron.com/products/prod...ate_plus.shtml
    Last edited by NHSilverado; 06-10-2007 at 06:52 AM.

I guess the trouble is they don't tell you in a quantifiale way how much they're going to put in. It's not like they're saying they're putting in 4 oz, they just say car or truck, that's the options.

I'm up for anything, my vehicles are getting to the 70k range each, so it's about time.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I guess the trouble is they don't tell you in a quantifiale way how much they're going to put in. It's not like they're saying they're putting in 4 oz, they just say car or truck, that's the options.

I'm up for anything, my vehicles are getting to the 70k range each, so it's about time.
    If I were you I would run a SeaFoam treatment through. I would use the aerosol to clean your throttle body assembly and then use 1/3 of the pour in can through your brake booster hose( pour the rest into your gas tank ). That stuff is amazing. Most parts stores have it. Approx $5 for the pour in and $8 for the aerosol. Follow instructions on back of cans.

Just be warned if you are at 70K+ and have never run this stuff your vehicle(s) will smoke like hell for a few minutes after restarting( you need to go out and drive down the highway a bit after to really clean it out and finish the job ).

No pour in or added to the gas treatment will do a better job than SeaFoam will when done properly. In some rare instances, with really dirty intakes/fuel systems, you need to replace the plugs after but as said that is rare.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/products.htm

I am currently trying this http://www.pureenergysystems.com/new...00069_Acetone/

The science is sound I filled up yesterday so I had 32 gallons I added 3 oz and in 21 days I will let you know. I was going to try 1 oz per ten then 2 then 3 while monitoring my mileage closely.

Since the warranty was almost up and my life has been a rocky and hectic road lately, I finally put my 04 TB in the shop for some warranty repairs. When I mentioned the poor gas mileage issue, he said to do the Techron thing. I'm gonna do that tonight and see what happens. Sometimes, I'm lucky to get 14 mpg. I just don't recall reading about that in the book. I'm still dealing with the sloppy handling issue, but that's another discussion in this forum. Thank goodness for this forum. You've helped me reduce some of the wind noise I was having!

Quote Originally Posted by 04Trailblazermom View Post
    Since the warranty was almost up and my life has been a rocky and hectic road lately, I finally put my 04 TB in the shop for some warranty repairs. When I mentioned the poor gas mileage issue, he said to do the Techron thing. I'm gonna do that tonight and see what happens. Sometimes, I'm lucky to get 14 mpg. I just don't recall reading about that in the book. I'm still dealing with the sloppy handling issue, but that's another discussion in this forum. Thank goodness for this forum. You've helped me reduce some of the wind noise I was having!
    Awesome. Glad we can help you out! Feel free to post away anything, we've got someone on here that can offer some advice.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD