GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Another Spark Plug Question

The original plugs in my 07 4.3L GMC engine are AC Delco 41-993's (double platnum). I seached the info here at the site and the consensus seems to be to stick with OEM iridium plugs. My question is would I be better off staying with the double platnum's or will I be better off with the iridiums. I hoping the iridiums will give somewhat better performance?

Jr. Engineer

I put in iridiums last spring. I noticed a better sound, better pickup/pep from a start and slightly better fuel economy. I have no firm numbers for you or anything but I did notice a couple more Miles per gallon. However, there were NGK plugs in before I changed them.
    SEAFOAM, I PUT THAT @#!$ IN EVERYTHING!

2004 Silverado LS 5.3L Z71 Crew Cab
    260,000+ km

Quote Originally Posted by goldie View Post
    The original plugs in my 07 4.3L GMC engine are AC Delco 41-993's (double platnum). I seached the info here at the site and the consensus seems to be to stick with OEM iridium plugs. My question is would I be better off staying with the double platnum's or will I be better off with the iridiums. I hoping the iridiums will give somewhat better performance?
    You would want to go with the A/C Iridium Tip Plugs and the reason is.....Iridium Tip Spark Plugs are the latest evolution in High Performance Plugs. The natural properties of iridium, with a melting point of approximately 700 degrees Celsius higher than Platinum, help enable the plug to burn fuel more efficiently and to deliver better performance. As a result, the Iridium Plugs have a minimum service life of 100,000 miles (service life varies with individual driving conditions.
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 12-09-2013 at 09:36 AM.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

I started Using E3 plugs in my 99 tahoe over a year ago and Instantly noticed a HUGE difference in performance and mileage. I know this doesn't answer your question about the irridium vs. Platinum / double platinum but that's my success story. They (depending on the plugs you have / get) may cost about the same or a little more per plug but the noticable difference makes it worth it to me and i have only lost 1 plug in all that time when i flooded my engine out with my own stupidity trying to run 100% E85 through my system to save on escalating gas prices. worked great for a few days but that's another story. aside from my own foul ups i have managed to not lose a single plug in 2 years now running those in both my wife's 98 suburban or my 99 tahoe.

Thanks for the info. It is a great help. I did try the E3 plugs and they worked great for about 26-27,000 mile then I started to get misfires with them. Sure wish the would have lasted!

Quote Originally Posted by goldie View Post
    Thanks for the info. It is a great help. I did try the E3 plugs and they worked great for about 26-27,000 mile then I started to get misfires with them. Sure wish the would have lasted!

The Vortec Engine's.....Run and Preform Better when using A/C Delco Plugs.......In some cases staying with Factory OEM Parts is the way go and this is One of those Cases.
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 12-09-2013 at 09:39 AM.

Again, thanks, I guess I've learned the hard way about plugs. I'll stay with AC Delco's.

I know this is a way late response to the post. But after some research I discovered that NGK makes AC Delcos plugs... And the Delco Iridium is comparable to NGK's standard Iridium, but NGK makes a Laser Iridium that is better plug. So anybody browsing replacement plugs, take that into consideration. I went with the NGK laser Iridium in my 04 Tahoe 5.3 and love it.

LOL way late? ~2 years is a bit more than late. *Grin* Good info though!
    2006 Vortec Max 1500
    Performance:
    -Custom Tune (389HP 440 Ft/lbs Trq - Dyno'd) | Volant CAI | Magnaflow Dual-in/out Exhaust w/3" stainless pipe tips | Fully Built Transmission w/ Red Eagle Clutches & Kolene Steels w/ Corvette Servos and Stage2 Shift Kit | 35K Tranny Cooler | Mobil 1 | Royal Purple Rear Diff
    Other:
    -Spray-in Bed Liner
    -Premium Sound w/lifetime Satellite Radio | Leather | Sunroof | Heated Seats
    -Limbstriping from USING the truck (those are badges of honor)

Chevy engines LOOOOOVE NGKs
    especially if you upgraded the ignition. even a simple coil upgrade.
    NGKs, man. i no longer run anything else.
    Gas was $1.83 when Obama took office.....