GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default Battery Dies About Every 2 Days...

Something is causing the battery(s) in my truck to die if I let it sit for more than a day, I replaced the old battery but the new one is doing the same thing, the alternator was tested and is fine, the truck is a 1981 Chevrolet C-10 I6 4.1L, also I live in Utah so it's been 19 and below here recently, any help?

1981 Chevrolet C10 Custom Deluxe
    90,311 Orig Miles
    4.1 I6

Something's staying on. Check that all your lights go off when you close up the truck, including the glove box light (happened to me once). Do you have any accessories? ie stereo amp, cb, dash clock, etc.

Check for something grounding out - make sure all your lights work, check the starter and alternator wires, the grounding strap from the block to the frame, (and the little one from the battery to the fender, sneaky bugger).

You say 'battery(s)' - do you have two, or the old and new ones?

Good luck,

1999 Chevy K2500 Suburban 350
    K&N, reworked cai, Thrush cat-backs
    Vinyl, cranks, floor shift, and rear air!

I had the one which came with the truck when I bought it and that one died and wouldn't hold a charge, I purchased a brand new one ($85 : /) and it is having the same issue(s), I have no clue what it is...
    The guy at Autozone tested the Alternator and said it was fine, I'm lost... : / lol
    oh and this truck is bone stock, not even a CD Player it has the good old tape deck...lol

90,311 Orig Miles
    4.1 I6

Well, my friend, you have some searching to do to find that wiring issue. I just saw a post about a bad starter causing the battery drain issue. Has it been starting hard?

1999 Chevy K2500 Suburban 350
    K&N, reworked cai, Thrush cat-backs
    Vinyl, cranks, floor shift, and rear air!

IDK it seems to start ok when it has enough juice to turn over...

90,311 Orig Miles
    4.1 I6

Legend
    Blog Entries

The easiest way to find the draw that's dragging your battery down is to disconnect the negative terminal, & hook a test light between the cable & the negative battery post. Make sure everything is turned off & start pulling fuses one at a time untill the light goes off. When you find which circuit it is, post back & we may be able to give you advice on what to do next if it's a consumer, or one that should go through the ignition switch.
    Make sure you unplug the dome light so it is not lit while the door is open as this will show as a draw on your test light. Also bridge your test light across battery positive & negative first to check your test light before you start just to make sure it's working.