GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Chip recommendations and other questions?

These are probably newbie questions but here goes....

1. I have a 1994 GMC Suburban K1500. Not looking to race the thing or anything like that, but I've heard that some chips not only improve performance but gas mileage. At least it did on my european sedan. What should I get?

2. How does one go about replacing the oddball stock stereo in the '94 with a DIN model without destrying the dashboard? Is there some kind of an adapter available?

3. Anyone ever seen an aftermarket center-hump under dash console that works with/around/inspite of the 4wd shifter?

Thanks in advance for your help.

First of all Welcome,PSP.

1. I'm not an expert at. So I'll let someone else take a stab at that one.

2. Yes there is an aftermarket kit with all the pieces at a good Stereo shop. Its the only way to go really. I had one in my 89 Chev Silverado. Looked, Mint!

3. I've only seen custom build under dash units. Years ago I build an over-head console (from visor to viser) for a friend. He put his CB, some switches and a Stereo up there it look sweet.

Good Luck!

Jamie

2007 Ford E250(Work van) (Ya, Ya, shut up!)
    1996 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 5.7L/4L60E

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Cableguy View Post
    This fella from Minnesota might have some ideas

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...35&postcount=1
    There's more to that thread, but it seems to be missing now.

If you're looking for ideas on how to create your own center console, you might try searching through MP3car.com They have a lot of DIY'ers on that sort of thing.
    Patrick
    Rhode Island

Wish I could be of more help, I know the guys on my Fiero forum use lap tops to control their chips.

But any chip will have some programmable features, by some means. Be it their own programming devise or a lap top.

I’m not a real technology fan so my knowledge in this area is, to say the least, limited.

Technology is great, when it Works,
    And one Big Pain in the Ass When it Doesnít.
    Detroit Iron Rules, All the Rest are Just Toys.
    94 GMC Burban, 5.7L (350), 4X4, Auto
    86 GMC Burban, 350, 2 WD, Auto
    79 GMC pickup plow truck, 400, Full time 4X4, Auto
    86 Pontiac Fiero SE, 2.8L, Auto, only mid engine American car
    See a Pattern yet?

15 year GM assembly line worker.

Quote Originally Posted by 84fiero123 View Post
    Wish I could be of more help, I know the guys on my Fiero forum use lap tops to control their chips.

But any chip will have some programmable features, by some means. Be it their own programming devise or a lap top.

Iím not a real technology fan so my knowledge in this area is, to say the least, limited.
    looks like we have the same '94!

Quote Originally Posted by Cableguy View Post
    First of all Welcome,PSP.

2. Yes there is an aftermarket kit with all the pieces at a good Stereo shop. Its the only way to go really. I had one in my 89 Chev Silverado. Looked, Mint!

Good Luck!
    Thanks! So what happens to the factory radio installation? It just stays where it is but isn't utilized?

Not sure. It was a few years back but my stock stereo came out and it came with a thing that turned it into a place for storage, like sunglasses and stuff. I looks pretty cool when it all done.
    The kit is more than likely the same though

The radio installation kit will make a standard DIN sized radio fit in the oddball location of the factory radio. As cableguy said, it'll look stockish, nothing ugly about it. I have installed aftermarket radios in my 05 saturn and my 91 sub with everything looking perfectly stock. (on a side note, my sub radio doesn't look 100% stock simply because the kit came with different face offsets, and the way the 91 dash is set up, I chose to put the 2 inch forward offset on so I could get to the radio, but I could have opted to use the flush faceplate....)
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
    (on a side note, my sub radio doesn't look 100% stock simply because the kit came with different face offsets, and the way the 91 dash is set up, I chose to put the 2 inch forward offset on so I could get to the radio, but I could have opted to use the flush faceplate....)
    Good point! It does move it over to a bit of a stretch, but it not to far. I like your idea though. You just tilted it alittle towards you?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by