GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: block heater

  1. #1
    Jr. Mechanic drwdominance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Bowmanville Ontario
    Posts
    93

    Default block heater

    How do I know if I have one? My manual tells me where it is but I can't find it.

    Is there another way to know or am I just blind?

    it's an 07 2500 diesel.
    07 Sierra Classic, 5.3L, 4X4, Crew Cab
    Volant CAI
    Leveling Kit
    305/55/20 LTZ
    Flowmaster muffler
    Diablo Predator



  2. #2
    Legend
    stephan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Far West, Oregon USA,
    Posts
    8,610
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by drwdominance View Post
    How do I know if I have one? My manual tells me where it is but I can't find it.

    Is there another way to know or am I just blind?

    it's an 07 2500 diesel.
    The best way is to just look. It should be pretty obvious if you do have it. Also it should be listed on your codes if it was installed from the factory, but if you didn't buy this veh new, the previous owner could have installed one too, so you really have to look for it to know for sure. The owners manuals are generic. One manual fits all, & just because it talks about a particular option or accessory, doesn't mean it will be on your truck.
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol


  3. #3
    Jr. Mechanic drwdominance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Bowmanville Ontario
    Posts
    93

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stephan View Post
    The best way is to just look. It should be pretty obvious if you do have it. Also it should be listed on your codes if it was installed from the factory, but if you didn't buy this veh new, the previous owner could have installed one too, so you really have to look for it to know for sure. The owners manuals are generic. One manual fits all, & just because it talks about a particular option or accessory, doesn't mean it will be on your truck.
    Which # in the code would tell me that? Any idea?

  4. #4
    Legend
    stephan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Far West, Oregon USA,
    Posts
    8,610
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Sorry man I've never had a diesel or a block heater so I don't know the code. Go to compnine.com & plug in your info. All your codes will be on your glove box lid/console. Just write them all down plug them in & comp nine will decipher them for you. Also you should have a build sheet stuffed between the seat springs that tells everything your truck came with, but they are a biotch to get out in one piece without dissasembling the seat. Like I said it's really easier just to look for it on the engine. It's either there or it's not. I would guess that because of where you live in the far north (so darn cold) it should have one, but maybe it was an oversight by whoever did the order.

  5. #5
    Jr. Mechanic drwdominance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Bowmanville Ontario
    Posts
    93

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stephan View Post
    Sorry man I've never had a diesel or a block heater so I don't know the code. Go to compnine.com & plug in your info. All your codes will be on your glove box lid/console. Just write them all down plug them in & comp nine will decipher them for you. Also you should have a build sheet stuffed between the seat springs that tells everything your truck came with, but they are a biotch to get out in one piece without dissasembling the seat. Like I said it's really easier just to look for it on the engine. It's either there or it's not. I would guess that because of where you live in the far north (so darn cold) it should have one, but maybe it was an oversight by whoever did the order.
    It came from Calgary which is much colder than where I live. That's part of the reason I thought for sure it would have one. I think I will park it inside tonight at my work and check it out thoroughly.

  6. #6
    Legend
    stephan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Far West, Oregon USA,
    Posts
    8,610
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    I would think it should have one too. I live at 43 degrees latitude where it seldom gets below 30 degrees F & they put block heaters in about 80% of the diesels here. I know it has to be worse where you live.

  7. #7

    Default

    I have personally never seen a diesel truck that didn't have a block heater.... The cords for them are usually zip-tied up out of the way on the frame....
    Joseph


    Airforce Veteran (7 years)


    NRA Life Member

  8. #8
    Legend
    stephan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Far West, Oregon USA,
    Posts
    8,610
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joeairforce View Post
    I have personally never seen a diesel truck that didn't have a block heater.... The cords for them are usually zip-tied up out of the way on the frame....
    I would agree with that, unless it was originally shipped to a warm climate dealer & ended up being exchanged on a dealer trade up north. For the nominal cost involved, I think the factory should put them on all diesels.

  9. #9
    Jr. Mechanic drwdominance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Bowmanville Ontario
    Posts
    93

    Default

    me and a couple of co workers looked last night for half an hour and couldn't see one.

    it must not have one installed, but that makes zero sense to me.

  10. #10

    Default

    I am home for a few hours today and decided to put a timer on the block heater so I am out in the -24C cold and looked all over the upside of the truck, also a 2500HD(used) and could not see anything. It is supposed to be warmer tomorrow so I will look under the truck. When you say tied to the frame, where should I first look?
    07 2500HD Duramax , 4DR and 26 Prowler 5th wheel Travel trailer, 57 Chev wagon with 14' Bonair travel trailer, and 71 Nova. ChevyTalk.org Canadian Regional Coordinator

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last: 11-23-2010, 09:54 PM
  2. Help with plug in ...... block heater
    By onelove in forum General Chevy & GM Tech Questions
    Replies: 35
    Last: 12-18-2008, 10:21 AM
  3. Block Heater
    By dgfal in forum GM Powertrain
    Replies: 3
    Last: 10-30-2008, 11:01 AM
  4. block heater?
    By ss_silverado_phoneix99325 in forum Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)
    Replies: 3
    Last: 12-04-2007, 05:40 PM
  5. Block heater advantages?
    By Taggart in forum GM Powertrain
    Replies: 3
    Last: 10-29-2007, 08:52 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •