GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... Last Post byLast Post by

Quote Originally Posted by tcope View Post
    Steve, I've read your posts and watched your video and noticed that you never mentioned what Farmers told you was the reason they deducted the 40%. You are also never quite clear on where your vehicle was or at the time of the accident. I'm guessing I know why...

What happen was that you wanted to make that right exit and the traffic was backed pretty far and not moving. The other person in the accident was driving the opposite direction and waiting to make a left turn into the plaza parking lot. What you did was to enter the plaza turn lane... which is _not_ a lane of traffic, in order to get around the traffic that was backed up. At the same time, the other person made a left turn in order to enter the plaza parking lot (you state in your video that you were not sure where the impact occurred, but I'm guessing you probably do (or the other person does), and that it happen right at the entrance to the plaza.

If this is the case, I can certainly see some someone could place some negligence on your end. Where you were was _not_ a driving lane and were using that lane in order to get around the backed up traffic. You also state in the video that it was be extremely difficult to get into the left exist lane unless you used that turn lane. This makes no sense to me when I watched the video as cars would simply need to be in the right (of 2) lanes and just exit when needed. We watched how many vehicles drive by while you were taping? I did not see one of those vehicles enter the plaza turn lane in order to exit down the road. You mention that most vehicles on this road use that exit. So why did they not need to enter that "3rd lane" to exit? I can answer that... because traffic was not backed up and they did not try to by-pass it.

I have been an adjuster for about 17 years now. Would I have placed some liability against you in this accident? Probably... but I don't know what that would be without having all the facts (which I don't). Would it have been 40%? I can almost assuredly say, (heck) no. I'd guess at 10%-20%. (perhaps even a little less then 10%). The other driver _still_ had a duty to make sure that the area was clear before making that left turn. She clearly did not do this and at least a majority of the negligence is on her. Do I think the Farmers percentage is incorrect? Heck yes! but I also see that adjusters point and I think it's probably valid.

I'll add this... Farmers Insurance _will not_ hire a liability adjuster without a BA. it does not matter is that person has 20 years experience handling claims. Also, their salaries are not very good. So they tend to hire adjusters with no experience in the insurance industry. This is a huge bulk of their adjuster workforce. The lack of experience shows in the way they handle claims.

Please don't take my post the wrong way... I feel for anyone who has their vehicle damaged in an accident. It's also a shame when it's someone who obviously has a passion for their vehicle. This is one reason why it's a good idea to carry collision insurance on your own vehicle. It's used to protect your own interest in the vehicle you are driving.
    Thanks for the post Todd, you're welcome to continue posting here if you have something to say about Chevy trucks. No hard feelings.

I traced your IP and email address. I've read your posts on the anti-Farmers Insurance websites, even those where other people accuse you of working for Farmers. That's funny. It's ok if you work for farmers and want to protect them, just don't come with those arguments, they just don't hold water.

I would probably be on the bandwagon that you do work for Farmers, becuase that would give you access to the case file (although it is marked confidential from what my sources tell me) which is the only way that you could have come up with the idea that I turned into a short turn-only lane.

Again, thanks again for the input, please feel free to post about GM products if you want.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

It's hard to not get worked up when dealing with insurance adjusters. They walk to a different beat. Especially when they start quoting that comparative negligence math BS. It's based off of past settlements and the adjuster's experience and judgement, which is to say, it's extremely subjective. I have a very close friend of mine that is an adjuster for Farmers. We get into friendly debates all the time about claims stories. Unfortunately, it's not that friendly when it happens to you.
    2008 Chevy Tahoe
    2007 Nissan Titan CC
    1997 Chevy 1500 EC (just passed 200,000)

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
    It's hard to not get worked up when dealing with insurance adjusters. They walk to a different beat. Especially when they start quoting that comparative negligence math BS. It's based off of past settlements and the adjuster's experience and judgement, which is to say, it's extremely subjective. I have a very close friend of mine that is an adjuster for Farmers. We get into friendly debates all the time about claims stories. Unfortunately, it's not that friendly when it happens to you.
    Good point. We are emotional beings, that's for sure. We want to protect ourselves and our interests. I'm convinced that we are also rational beings and most of us have a sense of morality. I think that being a claims adjuster is a fine occupation and vocation. I think it would be very interesting actually, it involves talking to people, recreating accidents, breaking down reports and more. There is nothing wrong with being a claims adjuster.

That being said, there is something wrong with a company that is fined $750k by the state of North Dakota for dishing out comparative negligence claims when they are not based on the facts of the case, but rather by the desire for a certain level of profitability by the company. Farmers admitted that they did that and accepted the fine from what I read on the North Dakota state insurance website.

Just something to think about.

Steve, I have been an adjuster for about 17 years, never worked for Farmers but did apply there as I wanted to move to another state and needed to find a job. As I knew people who worked there, I got an interview. They wanted to hire me but, as mentioned, they don't hire any liability adjusters with a BA. They _will_ hire property adjusters w/o BAs... as they don't make liability decisions. Their VP of claims appears to think that anyone who does not have a BA, no matter how long they have been handling claims, cannot make a liability judgment. Apparently a BA in Russian Literature or what not suddenly allows this benevolence. It's a joke.

You mentioned in the video and in your posts that you could not be sure exactly where the accident happen. It was not until a recent post that you stated that you could narrow it down to within 10 feet. Now I understand. I also reviewed the video and diagrams again. I think I better understand the situation and the difference of opinion.

Basically your stating that there are 4 lanes at and just prior to the point of the accident. One inside lane and 2 lanes directly to the right of that. These lanes all start out before the accident. At the accident location there are also 2 additional lanes that just start, the lane you were in when the accident happen and an additional outermost lane that is a turn lane into the Fry's parking lot. I watched the video and I don't see any white lines indicating the lane you were in or the turning lane into Fry's. Obviously at least one lane exists as the road gets wider but it seems that it's Farmers contention that this is for the lane that turns into Fry's and that the lane you state you were in does not form until after the Fry's parking lot. I'll tell you... it would be extremely rare for two new lanes, one being a parking lot turn lane, to form at the exact same location. Not impossible, though. As I mentioned above, I don't see any white lines in the video indicating that a through lane (which you claim you were in) formed at the location of the accident.

It appears that Farmers is stating that you would have actually been in the Fry's parking lot turn lane when the accident happen (and that might be correct). I understand that "everyone" gets into that "lane" to enter another roadway. I've handled _many_ claims where people stopped at a red light and people pull into the right side emergency lane in order to make a right on red. Happens all the time, day in and day out... but that does make it illegal. Also, because police don't sit at this location and hand out tickets does not mean it's legal either. They go were they are most needed. I'm betting if there were more accidents at this location they _would_ start handing out tickets.

In any case, I think you have some very good points and I certainly cannot say that you're incorrect. Regardless of _exactly_ where that lane starts, it's not clearly marked (from what I can see). You have a good argument that it's not clearly marked and as such, your following the normal course of traffic (what more can you do?).

I won't say how I would handle the claim but if the above is correct, I highly doubt I'd say you were 40% liable in the accident. Though I can't say I'd rule out some liability against you.

My recommendation is that some _clear_ pictures be taken of the location. These should show if there are lines marking the lane you were in or not. The photos (or video) should also show many other vehicles entering that same "lane" (as part of your video shows). If no lines are visible, your argument would be how the adjuster can know where the lane starts. Also, given the fact that the lanes obviously starts in that area and that so many other vehicles did the same thing, that you were simply following the normal flow of traffic.

To be honest... I don't think the adjuster is going to come off her 40% or if she does, not by much. I think a better bet is to file a complaint with your state Dept Of Ins. The DOI does not govern liability decisions, which is what this is, but usually this brings the claim to the attention of a supervisor. This is what you want to happen... you want someone else at Farmers to look at the claim and give their opinion. Perhaps you could speak to the adjusters supervisor and ask if you sent in your photos and letter, if they would review the information and form their own opinion about the claim. Inexperienced adjusters (and even experienced ones) once they make a liability decision, it's hard for them to get off of it (that is probably true in most professions).

You certainly have the right to file suit against the driver in small claims court. That is always a roll of the dice but with good supports, I think you stand a chance of winning.

BTW - I can tell by your response that you are genuine about your view point. You also seem willing to understand that there can be different points of view on the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by tcope View Post
    In any case, I think you have some very good points and I certainly cannot say that you're incorrect. Regardless of _exactly_ where that lane starts, it's not clearly marked (from what I can see). You have a good argument that it's not clearly marked and as such, your following the normal course of traffic (what more can you do?).

I won't say how I would handle the claim but if the above is correct, I highly doubt I'd say you were 40% liable in the accident. Though I can't say I'd rule out some liability against you.

My recommendation is that some _clear_ pictures be taken of the location. These should show if there are lines marking the lane you were in or not. The photos (or video) should also show many other vehicles entering that same "lane" (as part of your video shows). If no lines are visible, your argument would be how the adjuster can know where the lane starts. Also, given the fact that the lanes obviously starts in that area and that so many other vehicles did the same thing, that you were simply following the normal flow of traffic.

To be honest... I don't think the adjuster is going to come off her 40% or if she does, not by much. I think a better bet is to file a complaint with your state Dept Of Ins. The DOI does not govern liability decisions, which is what this is, but usually this brings the claim to the attention of a supervisor. This is what you want to happen... you want someone else at Farmers to look at the claim and give their opinion. Perhaps you could speak to the adjusters supervisor and ask if you sent in your photos and letter, if they would review the information and form their own opinion about the claim. Inexperienced adjusters (and even experienced ones) once they make a liability decision, it's hard for them to get off of it (that is probably true in most professions).

You certainly have the right to file suit against the driver in small claims court. That is always a roll of the dice but with good supports, I think you stand a chance of winning.

BTW - I can tell by your response that you are genuine about your view point. You also seem willing to understand that there can be different points of view on the issue.
    Thanks for that. I'm pretty serious about this and I am polite and professional when talking with the Farmers adjuster. She has not been polite with me, in fact she has been downright rude and nasty when speaking with me. But, what's a guy gonna do?

I have filed a complaint with the Texas Department of Insurance. Farmers has answered it with either a regional manager or a national-level manager (attorney?) responding from another state for the local department/adjuster. I think they take this very serious and it's way way way way beyond simply talking to a supervisor.

Default What's the status on your accident.

Sorry to here about your accident with "Farmers" They are always so nice when they take your money, but not when they have to pay it out. What did they decide on the Trailblazer, fix it or total. I am in the market for a totaled blazer for the interior and drive train for my 1954 Chevy wagon. I'm not even sure where you live. I am in Billings, MT.

Jim

so what is the out come have you ever gotten your TB fixed yet or are they still playing there games...

2006 GMC 1500 Long Bed Vortec 4.3
    1982 S-10 Prodject Street/Track with a 327/300hp Motor built up to 415 hp

Default Got my Trailblazer back today

Ok, my 2002 Chevy Trailblazer was in a major wreck in October. Total repair bill so far? ~$6750!

I just got it back from Vandergriff Collision in Arlington, TX and there are some problems with it.

Overall, they did a good job, but there are two areas that they should look at. Morover, there appear to be a couple of bigger issues.

1) As I drove off the repair parking lot, there was an incredibly loud roar under the engine that was 50x louder than anything I'd heard before. I think it's very obvious that the fan clutch was damaged. The fan was replaced as it took a hit, but not the fan clutch. (I'm assuming that it's the fan clutch, it could be the water pump I guess or something else, but the noise was very loud and it rose and fell with the speed of the engine. After I got it up to speed and warmed up, the noise went away.)

2) The steering got sloppy when getting into the upper speeds. It didn't seem to be that bad when I drove it the other day, but it does not. It's going to have to be looked at. There is like a slight amount of play that wasn't there before. I don't know what to think of this, but I

3) There is a point of damage under the hood on the insider of the engine bay, where the left fender was replaced! WTH! How do they think that's acceptable?

4) There is at least one point where there is a paint chip gone that I think is reasonable to assume it was from the accident. It wasn't repaired. Sigh, I would have overlooked that to avoid the hassle if that was it, but as long as I'm going to have to get more stuff fixed.

Legend

Wow that sux. Good luck with all that.

KRIS
    2007 GMC Sierra CrewCab 4.8L
    Tinted Windows, 20" Chrome MB Predators on 275/55/20 Copper AT's, GM Bed Rug, Speed Scene Chrome Grille, Putco Chrome Handles, Hypertech Max Energy Programmer, Magnaflow Muffler and many more mods to come.
    Former GM Vehicles:
    96 Chevy Camaro. My first car modded for a High School kid.

they fixed it with that much damage wow time to dump it asap sorry steve but that is a total in my eyes been in the auto buisness for 25 years and i for one would never let my wife and son drive in it..if need be take the loss and trade up to a safe car or truck that TB will never be the same..just my opinion

Dan