GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Canadian Broadcasting Company Bans Dire Straits' "Money For Nothing"

the Canadian Broadcasting Standards Council issued a ban for all radio stations in Canada to seize playing the song "Money For Nothing" by Dire Straits, a classic tune, in my opinion. the song was banned, because of a verse that was apparently offensive to homosexuals by saying "See the little f****t with the earring and the makeup Yeah buddy that's his own hair That little f****t got his own jet airplane That little f****t he's a millionaire" there was a single complaint from Newfoundland from a concerned citizen, and after the complaint was filed, the song was promptly banned.

that's the fact, now this is my opinion.

[RANT]
    this is completely unjustified and biased. 75% of musical content has some questionable content. a handful of songs in my iTunes list could be described as "offensive" for example: Fat Bottom Girls-Queen, every older Eminem song, Lemon Song-Zeppelin, Purple Haze-Hendrix. this is ridiculous. it is offensive to Canada, it makes me embarrassed that a song from 20+ years ago is suddenly offensive to homosexuals. how about a book i read in Grade 10, Harper Lee's "To Kill a Mockingbird" or Mark Twain's "Huckleberry Finn." this is a massive outrage, and completely unjustified from ONE complaint. who wants to form a convoy and blast the song and flip off the CSBC office? I'm down
    [/RANT]

2009 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT Z71 **SOLD**
    2011 Ford F-150 FX4 Ecoboost crew cab **SOLD**
    2013 Ford F-150 FX4 5.0L crew cab

Legend
    Blog Entries

I hear you 09. That's where Canada is now, & where the U.S. is heading. You apparently don't have a first amendment, & ours is being stepped on, & spit on every day, by a bunch of bleedin hearted liberals with minds so twisted that they can't think straight. Instead of treating people equally, they take freedoms away from one group of people & bestowe them on another group because they think they are given the right to decide who is more deserving or more important. In Canadas case, they feel the homosexuals rights are more important than your right to listen to your choice of music. My question is, who gave them the right to decide that people arent equal?
    Who gave ANYBODY that right?
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

just because it offends a certain group, doesn't mean it should impact my music preference. there are alot of stereotype media sources that offend my cultural practices or ethnic background. am i protesting? No, because sure, i know it will impact other groups that do not practice the same cultures. it is an outrage to the groups that are not homosexuals. not only was this song banned because of a (frankly) minority group, it was ONE person that made an influence. ONE PERSON. there was no consideration to other cultures or groups. sometimes you have to deal with it, life isn't fair. i don't have a problem with homosexuals, i think everyone should be able to practice their own cultures or choices, it is however, crossing the line to suggest that one person can complain that they were indirectly called a fa**ot in a 20+ year old song. times have changed, and I think it is unjustified to ban a song from a different standpoint. give me a frickin' break.

2009 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT Z71 **SOLD**
    2011 Ford F-150 FX4 Ecoboost crew cab **SOLD**
    2013 Ford F-150 FX4 5.0L crew cab

Legend
    Blog Entries

I agree 100%. I just can't imagine the CBSC caveing to one complaint. Who was it, the presidents mistress? Seems like it had to be somebody with a lot of power....

If the f****t's think its against them, then it shows that they can't admit to theyr own love !!!!
    Also i woud say this banning is discrimination against all hydrosexuals. So maybe somebody should complain against the bann?!
    Oh, Stephan here is gay too, but we still keep him around..there is nothing wrong with that atleast he admits to it.
    My wife is actually speaking well of him since he is not scared to show his homosexuality in public. Come on Stephan, say it ...tell us how you really feel Bro!

1996 Suburban K3500 SLT DUALLY
    1988 Camaro RS 383 stroker LT1
    1992 32' Aero-tek Race Boat, 600 CI BBC
    WE CAN STICK A DIESEL IN ANYTHING
    SPECIALIZED IN CUSTOM CONVERSIONS OF ANY KIND
    Scott:glasses:

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

It's the Same Born again People who hate Disney and anything that has to do with Fun... Please wake up and join the REAL World...
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Legend
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DAREDEVIL View Post
    I don't care about anything or anybody except me, as long as I can stuff diesel engines in everything with wheels on it. We'll install them in trucks, cars, go-carts, ATVs, you name it, we can do it. call 1-800-Give Us your money. Thank you very much. Scotts Diesel Stuffers, Bradenton, Florida
    Scott, In your haste, you appear to have missed the point of everybodies posts.
    Last edited by stephan; 01-15-2011 at 12:31 PM.