GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Here is a picture of my truck with our 2001 Forest River Sierra T27BH travel trailer. Thirty feet from bumper to hitch, queen bed up front, convertible sofa and dinette in the middle, and three bunks in the rear. It has the capability of sleeping up to nine people, but if you're packing that many people around AND cramming them all into your trailer at night or for bad weather - it's just not camping anymore.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_4872.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	29121
    csltrains96
    Myself, my beautiful wife
    3 - boys
    3 - minivans
    1 - '89 Chevy K2500 Silverado Truck
    1 - 27 foot travel trailer
    Not enough family time!

Attachment 0Here's nine...2006 Thor Vortex 26'. 7600lb's dry. Head'n to northern Arizona this weekend.
    Last edited by Steeler Ray; 07-28-2011 at 11:13 AM.

2004 Zinger T27RB by Crossroads. It's a 27' rear bunk w/ ft queen, middle kitchenette w/ sofa bed. Sleeps 9 per manufacturer but we sleep 6 at most & usually 4 + dog. Bought it new in '04 at RV show, took it to Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH, Kings Dominion in VA 2X, Niagra Falls, Canada side, and local family campgrounds around the Lancaster/Bucks/Montgomery Counties outside Phila. PA. Camp & Vacation w/ my best friends family of 5 on a regular basis, and both families usually bring a mutual friend or two along. Once a year we have a reunion of families who were in the YMCA's Indian Guide/Indian Princess programs as well as Boy Scout families (non BSA camping). It's 32' from bumper mounted spare to the ball hookup, and rated @ 7500# max. I'm looking to upgrade the tires & wheels to 15" Al ones, may upgrade brakes to discs, lighting to LED, replacing LP gas lines, put aux lights on for backing up in dark (typical Friday night arrival), modded the outside H & C water drain valves to run water to an outside dbl kitchen sink we take w/ us along w/ a carport canopy we set up for our outside kitchen & board game playing area. We usually have the luck of rain while camping so we prepare for the worst & hope for the best w/ our 2 canoes & electric trolling motors for the occasional fishing excursion.

Default Our truck camper

We have had a few different RVs- this Lance is our latest and favorite.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6341042246_85396a454e_b.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	32047

Looks like I need to get the hang of posting pictures on this site.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6341042246_dcc283038f_o.jpg  
    2012 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 sb crew
    2012 Subaru Outback (wifes)
    1992 BMW K100RS
    2012 Lance 855S TC

I have a 2006 4x4 Crew Cab with a small box and want to put a camper but am limited because of payload capability. Will upgrading leaf springs and shocks all the way around be enough to handle a slide in with show/toilet facilities?

Quote Originally Posted by realjeeper View Post
    I have a 2006 4x4 Crew Cab with a small box and want to put a camper but am limited because of payload capability. Will upgrading leaf springs and shocks all the way around be enough to handle a slide in with show/toilet facilities?
    I was going to ask if this was a 1500, but afaik they didn't make any hd's with the short box.

How heavy is the camper that you want to carry?

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

Thanks Steve, meant to include 1500 in my question. In terms of how big of a camper, one that can sleep 2 adults and a child and my wife really wants a shower and Toilet. I'm taking it up fairly high in the Cascade mountains, elk hunting so it can't be too heavy. Thanks again .... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2006 Silverado.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	55765

Quote Originally Posted by realjeeper View Post
    Thanks Steve, meant to include 1500 in my question. In terms of how big of a camper, one that can sleep 2 adults and a child and my wife really wants a shower and Toilet. I'm taking it up fairly high in the Cascade mountains, elk hunting so it can't be too heavy. Thanks again .... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2006 Silverado.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	55765
    That's right. I grew up in Washington state and actualy have been in the cascades in a truck and camper before. What's funny is that they are built better and also lighter these days.

I've not looked in a while but they mostly recommend at least a 3/4 ton, but it really comes down to weight. So getting back to your question, not quite sure but your looking to stiffen up the suspension to handle a camper ... Let me look up some weights.

I'm seeing a lot of the truck campers coming in as little as 1000 lbs and upwards. Most of the units with the extras seem to be quite a bit heavier ... some at 1800 to 2k and up.

With your truck you will have to modify the rear suspension with heavier leaf springs or air bags, shocks and your can't forget heavier rated tires (load range D or E) to carry the load. If you stay on the lighter side I think this would be ok, even going up the steep passes getting into the cascades.
    Last edited by Steve; 10-25-2013 at 07:27 AM.

1999 Keystone Springdale...24ft
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 008.jpg  

[B]1997 GMC

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast