GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Sr. Apprentice Kuntryboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    30

    Default new guy from south carolina

    hey im new here and am looking for a new truck. im interested in an 03-04 silverado 1500 access cab z71 with the 5.3L. was wondering if there are any problems to watch out for in these engines or this model.

    also i have found a few im interested in but am wondering if the 115-135k mile range is still a safe buy if all maintenance has been done and the original owners did everything on time and all around took care of the truck

    how many miles can be expected of these trucks before problems arise?

    sorry for so many questions, i really like chevy and just need some facts before buying.

    thanks

  2. #2
    Master Mechanic TexasEdition's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Hill Country
    Posts
    656

    Default

    Welcome to the board. I wouldn't worry about a truck with only 135K on it if the price was right. There are a number of sites where you can view model year reliability stats.

    Here is just one example. http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Re...lverado%201500

    2009 Tahoe LTZ (Blue Granite ext/
    light & dark cashmere int)
    5.3L Vortec V8 6 speed trans.,
    HD towing, Leather interior,
    20" chrome wheels, chrome door
    handles/grill/mirrors, & CD/DVD w/Bose.
    2010 Silverado LT Texas Edition
    (Black ext/Light titanium-ebony int.)
    5.3L V8, 6 speed trans, HD towing,
    20" chrome wheels, chrome door
    handles/grill/mirrors, CD, Raptor 5"
    Magnum nerfs, & Speedliner bed liner.

  3. #3
    Legend
    murdog94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Cloquet, Minnesota, United States
    Posts
    8,198
    Blog Entries
    12

    Default

    Welcome aboard!
    Mike

    Currently

    1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

    2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

    2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

    "Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

  4. #4
    Sr. Apprentice Kuntryboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by murdog94 View Post
    Welcome aboard!
    thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasEdition View Post
    Welcome to the board. I wouldn't worry about a truck with only 135K on it if the price was right. There are a number of sites where you can view model year reliability stats.

    Here is just one example. http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Re...lverado%201500
    okay cool. i mean i know some manufacturers ppl will say 135k are you crazy thats too much and its about to fall apart, such as jeep, or thats nothing like a toyota.

    ill check out that site you posted. i have found some nice'ns for around 10k. im right now trying to sell my old 4runner. the new truck will be taking me down to mississippi in the fall for school so i need something to get me there and back reliably. thanks again

  5. #5

    Default

    To the Site.......All I would said is.....went looking for a Truck....Ask to see the Maintenance Records.....that will give you some idea on how the Truck has been care for......I've got 150,000 miles on my Truck and it Still Run Great!!

    MIKE


    99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN










  6. #6

    Default

    Welcome to the club!

  7. #7
    Sr. Apprentice Kuntryboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 99'HEARTBEAT View Post
    To the Site.......All I would said is.....went looking for a Truck....Ask to see the Maintenance Records.....that will give you some idea on how the Truck has been care for......I've got 150,000 miles on my Truck and it Still Run Great!!
    thanks and thats the first thing ill do when i go to look at a truck i like

    Quote Originally Posted by goldie View Post
    Welcome to the club!
    thanks

  8. #8

    Default

    Welcome aboard! I've driven trucks (and other vehicles) with well over 100,000 miles. Some seemed brand new and others seemed like they had been driven way too hard. At the same time, I've driven vehicles with 60,000 miles that drove and idled like the odometer should have read 500,000. Like everyone else has mentioned, proper maintenance and care is key. It's a fact of life, if you take care of something that is quality to begin with, it will last you a lifetime. Anyway, I would find a friend who knows a good amount about auto mechanics to look over any used vehicles you're contemplating. Otherwise, new is always a safe bet.

    I love my 2009 Silverado Z71. I bought it new and have babied it like crazy. I feel strongly that it will last me a life time as I will certainly continue to take great care of it.

  9. #9
    Sr. Apprentice Kuntryboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vincennes02261897 View Post
    Welcome aboard! I've driven trucks (and other vehicles) with well over 100,000 miles. Some seemed brand new and others seemed like they had been driven way too hard. At the same time, I've driven vehicles with 60,000 miles that drove and idled like the odometer should have read 500,000. Like everyone else has mentioned, proper maintenance and care is key. It's a fact of life, if you take care of something that is quality to begin with, it will last you a lifetime. Anyway, I would find a friend who knows a good amount about auto mechanics to look over any used vehicles you're contemplating. Otherwise, new is always a safe bet.

    I love my 2009 Silverado Z71. I bought it new and have babied it like crazy. I feel strongly that it will last me a life time as I will certainly continue to take great care of it.
    i see what your saying. if i could afford a new one i would get one but with school next year i cant afford more then 10k maybe 11k if its just an amazing deal and perfect truck. thanks for the welcome.

  10. #10
    Legend Bigbomber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Winnipeg,Manitoba,Canada
    Posts
    5,089

    Default

    Welcome to the club!
    [/SIGPIC]2009 Chevy Silverado LT 1500 EXT CAB 4X4 Vortec 4.8L SFI,K&N air filter,Weathertech Floor Liners ,Weathertech Stone/Bug Deflector, Line X Spray On Bedliner, TruXport Rollup Tonneau Cover, Molded Mudguards, Viper 5701 LE 2 way Security Alarm/Remote Starter, Xm Satelite Radio,BILSTEIN 5100 rear shocks,BILSTEIN 5100 front levelling shocks,READYLIFT 2" rear lift blocks,Goodyear Wrangler Territorys -265/70R 17"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Newbie from South Carolina
    By ChrisZ71 in forum Member Introductions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-24-2011, 05:12 AM
  2. New to site, Hello from South Carolina
    By scfella in forum Member Introductions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-11-2010, 11:40 PM
  3. New from upstate South Carolina.
    By jhart in forum Member Introductions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-15-2010, 11:41 PM
  4. new from south carolina
    By tallhoe in forum Member Introductions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-26-2009, 10:26 AM
  5. New member from South Carolina here
    By BurtsBurb in forum Member Introductions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-18-2008, 01:39 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •