GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Roll-Up Tonneau Cover: Keep Rolled Up or Rolled Out/Closed?

I recently got a TruXedo TruXport roll-up tonneau cover for my truck (truck details in sig). I have been keeping it closed, or rolled out, all the time since I put it on my truck. I got to thinking the other day if that is the best thing to do, given it is a "soft" cover.

There are stray cats around my workplace, and I noticed cat footprints on my cover the other day. That got me worried maybe they would poke little holes in the cover with their claws, or weaken the cover by walking on it. Water also pools on it a little bit when it rains.

Would it be better for me to keep the cover rolled up most of the time and just unroll and close it when I have stuff in the bed, or do y'all think it is tough enough to handle the day-to-day stuff like weather and an occassional stray cat?
    Matt
    Hallsville, TX

2005 Silverado 1500 LS Crew Cab 5.3L 2WD
    K&N FIPK II
    Magnaflow Exhaust
    Hypertech Max Energy Programmer
    Suspension Leveling Kit
    Putco Element Window Visors
    Carriage Works Billet Grille
    TruXedo TruXport Tonneau Cover

I have the soft tonneau cover and keep the bed covered most of the time. I was concerned about the snow we just got, but it held up without any problems. Never had any cats on mine. I'm more concerned about bird poop and other stains. Does yours have the crossbars for support? I'd be more concerned leaving it rolled-up. It seems to me that it would be more likely to crease or crack over time.

Just my 2 cents.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Well do you want better MPG's? If so keep it covered... If you don't want the cays on there go to a pet store and get a bottle of Sour Apple spray. Put some on the cover and they will stay away...
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

I always keep my bed covered with my soft cover.I have also had 3-4 inches of snow on it numerous times and it has held up great
    [/SIGPIC]2009 Chevy Silverado LT 1500 EXT CAB 4X4 Vortec 4.8L SFI,K&N air filter,Weathertech Floor Liners ,Weathertech Stone/Bug Deflector, Line X Spray On Bedliner, TruXport Rollup Tonneau Cover, Molded Mudguards, Viper 5701 LE 2 way Security Alarm/Remote Starter, Xm Satelite Radio,BILSTEIN 5100 rear shocks,BILSTEIN 5100 front levelling shocks,READYLIFT 2" rear lift blocks,Goodyear Wrangler Territorys -265/70R 17"

I had the same cover as the OP and always had mine rolled up and that is why I removed it. I think if you have it might as well keep the bed covered.

________2013 4C Rated__________

One more vote to keep the bed covered, mine is on it's third winter and still looks new. We had a few snows of a foot or so last year here in PA and it came out none the worse for wear.
    Adam

I have a Extang 'Tuff Tonno' on my longbed and it came w/ 4 cross bars but I have a toolbox in the front 2 feet so they only installed three saying the box would support the snow. The instructions w/ my tarp say to keep it laid out or rolled up and tied as allowing it to flap in the wind will let the tarp fray. My tarp has a 10 year warranty and seems plenty tough...Had several 12" plus snow falls on it last year and one so far this year...I find I wash it alot just w/ soap, I was told to never use any 'armor all' on it as that will void the warranty...I don't like that stuff anyway!
    Still Loyal to GM after all these years...:shocked:
    2006 Impala LT 3.5L
    2005 Silverado WT small cab/longbed 4x4 4.3L V6
    1999 Grand Am 3.4L in TX w/ our youngest
    1993 GMC Jimmy 4.3L 4 door 4x4 'Ole Rusty' - 'SOLD'
    1988 S-10 small cab/longbed HT3.4L Crate Engine
    1970 Nova 250 I-6, factory 3 sp floor shifter.
    1968 Chevelle 'Nomad' Wagon 250 I-6 w/ 3 on da' tree.

Thanks for all of the replies! I think I'll keep it closed as I have been. I just wanted to make sure I am doing everything I can to make it last as long as possible. I'll probably get some of TruXedo's protectant spray, if I can find it in a store somewhere. Has anyone used any other brand of protectant for their covers?

I have a bottle of convertible top cleaner and used that once or twice on it to get rid of any bird poop stains. I like it because it cleans and protects. Not a big fan of Armor All on it because it's messy opening and closing the top.

Sorry to bring up the snow. Obviously you don't need to worry about that in Texas. I agree with Enkei to use sour apple spray to keep them off. Either that or keep a spray bottle of water and hit em with it when they get near.
    Last edited by Als09Sierra; 01-22-2011 at 09:26 AM.