GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 86 Silverado Engine Replacement

I've inherited a 1986 Silverado from my grandfather. It has the original engine in place but doesn't run too well. I'd like to replace it but I'm wondering if I have to keep all the emissions gear, miles of vacuum lines and catalytic converter in order to pass inspection in Texas. Anybody know? Thanks for any advice.

what county do you live in? i know here in harris county, 2009 was the last year that my dad's '86 had to pass emissions testing. now it only has to do the safety inspection. as far as emissions gear, it really depends on how close the place you have it inspected at looks at everything. he always bought "legal" stickers since about 1999 cause it would never pass no matter how much he tried. so, about two years ago i had the cat cut out and an exhaust pipe welded in it's place. but be warned, depending on what muffler you have, the cat really does hold back a lot of sound. he now has a straight pipes with a cherry bomb extreme muffler and when you're driving it, it basically sounds like open headers.

I'm in Kaufman county and I just found this on the TXDPS site:

DFW and Houston/Galveston Area Motorists
    In conjunction with the annual safety inspection all gasoline powered vehicles from 2 through 24 years old which are registered or primarily operated in emissions counties will be subject to one of the following emissions tests.

So since the truck is now 25 years old I guess I will only be required to get a safety inspection going forward?

yep, grandfathered in...only safety inspection from now on

Sweet, my only question now is when they pop the hood will they say anything about everything being gone...or can they even say anything since it only has to pass safety now? I recently saw a Silverado that was about the same age as mine at a local car show that had everything ripped out and had a valid inspection sticker so I assume they can't really do anything about it.

Thanks for your help Badbrad469!

Removal of emissions doesnt depend on the county, yes certain counties require emissions testing but all counties and inspection sites in Texas are required to verify the vehicle has the emissions equipment required for that particular year vehicle.
    Emissions equipment is a federal requirement failure of a county to enforce this requirement can affect their receipt of federal transportation funding for roads and bridges so most counties ensure the rules are being followed and follow up with reporting vehicles that have had equipment removed.
    Lack of emissions equipment can stop you from getting your safety inspection sticker.
    Read the Texas regulations a little closer and deeper before you remove that equipment it could cost you a lot more $$ to put things back together if you get caught.

Buzzkill

Thanks tbplus10, I think I'll dig a little deeper and perhaps stop by one of the stations and get their opinion too.

when i said it depends on the county, i meant as far as having emissions testing. i'm not saying go ahead and take all the emissions equipment out, it's up to you. it all just depends on where you go to have your inspection done. i know of quite a few places around here that are meticulous even if you only have to pass safety. but, i also know of places where they really don't care, just take your money and slap on a sticker.