GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default '98 Suburban Pitman arm R&R

I need to change my pitman and idler arms. Idler arm appears simple enough. My question is about changing the Pitman arm on this truck. Haynes says to just pull the pitman arm off of the steering gear with a pitman arm puller (after detaching the relay rod). However, on this year, there's a big piece of frame right below the steering gear/pitman arm that would prevent me from attaching the puller. Chiltons says to unbolt the steering gear from the frame if necessary. I guess I'm looking for any experience with this that can help me get at it.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

A bump, because I know someone out there has to have changed a pitman arm on these, as often as they seem to go bad.
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

One last bump to see if anyone has any thoughts.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Mr Shorty, I saw this posted on here a couple months ago by someone who didn't have the room for a puller on his either. I'm not sure if I agree with it, but he took a 2 foot steel rod & hammer & broke his pitman arm loose from the top. From above, he struck the edge of the arm on one side (the rounded portion close to the shaft, not the arm) & on the 2nd strike from the opposite side it broke loose.
    I would r&i the steering box & use the puller if it was mine, but is an idea that worked for him because he didn't want to take the box loose.

I didnt respond because its been about 10 years since I had to pull one of those off in that setup (used to work in a front end shop for about 8 months) and couldnt quite remember how I did them. Probably did it by unbolting the steering box to get room in there, which sounds about right. Sorry the memories not always the best.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

I appreciate the comments, guys. I finally found someone on another site who had done this, and it does sound like the best approach is to unbolt the steering gear from the frame so you can rotate it around to get at the pitman arm.