GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Sr. Mechanic

First truck and a new of lot model too, way to go!! Use the 4H in most off road case and extreme weather, take advantage of the 4L if you just want creep thru the trail, watch the rpm gauge if you have to throttle it. have fun and stake the time to drive and learn your truck adn dont be scared to get it stuck. Remember have a good time and be SAFE while on the trail.

91 Suburban

D44/14BFF w/Disc conv - Yukon 4:88's - Yukon Grizzly Lockers F/R -13" lift - DIY4x Shackle Flip - 37 ATZ on 18 MT Classics - Doug Thorley headers - Magnaflow - Holley Pro Jection Intake - Ultimate TBI mods - Hydroboost Brake Conversion - Hysteer-X Over Conversion.

(Coming up - Fuel Injected 383 Stroker - Divorced NP205 - D60 - 40" tires)

a few years back, my wife shifted my truck in 4hi when she was driving thru some bad weather. She left it there, and I didn’t notice it for about a week, and I had done some serious highway driving. 70 mph. dry roads, I put on a couple hundred miles….Don’t ask me how I didn’t notice the light or the fact that it was driving a little different, but I didn’t. I just about freaked when I discovered how long it had been on. Anyway, I never noticed any damage as long as I owned that truck….so I guess they can be pretty forgiving. So I wouldn’t advise abusing it in any way, but I wouldn’t freak out (now anyway) if its gets a little abuse too.

I always take mine out of 4WD before I park it, don't know if it helps but I just made a habit of it.
    Adam

Legend

First off, congrats on the truck. A couple tips just like the rest, DONT use 4LO, you dont need it. I am 33 years old live in MN and have NEVER used 4LO, yes I have offroaded, pulled cars out of the ditch, pulled big boats up the ramp and gone snow drift busting, if you are stuck and 4HI aint working 4LO aint gonna do it either. Another tip, you are gonna destroy some of your truck if you do decide to to some good old wheelin, modern truck are all plastic. They are not the GMs of 99 and older that the bumpers could actually hit a stump and survive. Taking your truck out of 4WD is a good habit before you park it in the garage/driveway. Yes, your manual will have some good tips for the 4wd speeds. Good Luck!!
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Sr. Apprentice
    Black River Falls, Wisconsin, United States

Congrats on the new truck. In the manual in my truck says to engage 4 hi at speeds under 40 i think but i just pull over if i need it.
    My truck doesnt accecpt donations it drinks em

I see alot of people sayin that you can put in in 4H while driving. I tried to do it at about 15 mph just for SHIGGLES, and it wouldnt let me do it. i really pulled on that lever, but no go. so i guess i will just have to pull over to drop it in. thanks for all the great advice.

Marty- Bradford PA
    2009 GMC Sierra. 4X4. First Truck and I am psyched!!!

Try it at a stop, then again at a low speed say 5 mph. You will be able to shift it at speed.

Legend

to do it on the fly shift the tranny to neutral and then the transfer case to 4HI then back into OD
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

that VNCJ96, didnt know that!!!

Marty- Bradford PA
    2009 GMC Sierra. 4X4. First Truck and I am psyched!!!

Tell your ford owning buddy he doesn't like GMC because when you add up the number of Chevy pickups with the number of GMC pickups; the total is larger than the number of Ford pickups sold every year...
    Still Loyal to GM after all these years...:shocked:
    2006 Impala LT 3.5L
    2005 Silverado WT small cab/longbed 4x4 4.3L V6
    1999 Grand Am 3.4L in TX w/ our youngest
    1993 GMC Jimmy 4.3L 4 door 4x4 'Ole Rusty' - 'SOLD'
    1988 S-10 small cab/longbed HT3.4L Crate Engine
    1970 Nova 250 I-6, factory 3 sp floor shifter.
    1968 Chevelle 'Nomad' Wagon 250 I-6 w/ 3 on da' tree.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast