GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Where is my squeak coming from?

Hey everyone,

Ive been having a squeaking noise for a year or two now. It started off with only a few random squeaks on a cold morning start, then progressively got worse. It now will squeak on command at around 1000 +/- rpms and remain squeaking even when the engines hot. Its very high pitched and irritating. Its coming from the bottom left when looking at the engine. Its an '05, so it has the electric fans.

Heres what Ive checked so far:

Ive changed to Gatorback belts
    The alternator is new. (only 1000 miles)
    The serpentine tensioner is very tight
    Ive tried turning the A/C off
    The A/C tensioner wobbles a tad but I ran the truck without the A/C belt on and it didnt change a thing

Im stumped. Only thing I can think of is the crank pulley at this point. Maybe a sensor near the crank? My dad said try cleaning the pulleys off, but the sound only happens around 1000 rpms, Ill give it a shot, but Im not expecting any different results. Hopefully Ive narrowed it down for someone who has had this issue before.

Thanks for all the help!

---------- Post added at 07:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:39 PM ----------

its the tensioner pulley bearing... found it

Legend
    Blog Entries

Congrats on solving your squeak & thanks for updating with your findings.
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

Well...after I put the new pulley on, the sound came back. So that wasnt it. I took a video to see if anyone may recognize the sound. I have no idea what it could be, other than a different pulley.

http://s1134.photobucket.com/albums/...t=MOV00019.mp4

Thanks for any help.

Alternator, water pump, and power steering pump are the first three things that come to mind. Presumably the alternator's fine because it's new, but that's not always the case, but let's skip that for now. The power steering pump is usually more of a low-pitched whine, so that's not very likely. It's starting to sound like it might be a water pump. Unfortunately you can't run the engine and eliminate just one accessory at a time without a bunch of different length belts. I'd first try to run the truck for a minute without a belt at all to confirm the sound goes away. Just don't run it more than a minute or two because without the water pump it'll overheat. Then turn each accesory by hand as fast as you can and see if you hear the sound. It's very likely the bearing on the water pump is going out.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage